Saturday Cliff Lee Rumors: Still Waiting

The Yankees waited all day for a response from Cliff Lee yesterday and got no answer so they’ll continue to wait today. Here is the latest of what’s going on:

  • The Yankees offer is believed to be a 7-year deal that far exceeds Texas’ in monetary value.
  • The Rangers original offer was likely 5-years and $100 million, but that has been increased to a 6-year offer possibly with some form of option for a 7th season.
  • Both teams actually have multiple offers on the table. The Yankees offers are believed to be a 7-years and $161 million, 6-years and $144 million, or 5-years and $125 million.

We’ll continue to wait. I’ll have updates if anything happens. Continue to check back.

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Saturday Cliff Lee Rumors: Still Waiting

  1. Thanks for the update, I have been on pins and needles, if you will, regarding this matter the last couple of days.

    Do you buy into the argument that the longer this plays out, the chances of him returning to the Rangers, are higher, notwithstanding our higher offer, in monetary terms???

    Well, Alpine, NJ and Kristen's BFF, Amber Sabathia, are awaiting him, if he opts to join our ranks, :-)))

  2. CC sabathia took 1 month to decide on his hefty contract with the yankees. i remember it taking forever. there is definitely hope here, even though it doesn't look good for new york, if you read heyman, anyway.

  3. I actually completely disagree; I came away from the Heyman article feeling more confident than ever that Lee is coming to the Yanks.

  4. I don't see how anyone can tell one way or the other which way he is going. The longer it takes shouldn't matter either. I think some people are just panicking, but he'll take as much time as he needs. Just realize that the Yankees have offered him a lot of money. If he doesn't come here, they'd done all they can.

  5. @ Mighty Casey, this is the reason I inquired to Aburzzese:

    http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/feed/2010-11/clif

    I am not saying I concur with Bahr, just wanted to get his input on it…I, personally, remain guardedly optimistic.

    @ Larry Koestler, I just read Heyman, whom you allude both here and your blog…he makes some strong points in our favor.

    @ Rob, Cash, indeed, has done an excellent job in terms of handling the matter, I have faith in him and the Steinbrenner brothers have been good, as well…though it would be nice to have the greatest business closer, The Old Boss, still around and healthy, :-))))

  6. [email protected] says:

    If Lee signs with someone else, I have a strong feeling Pettitte will say YES. And I think we have plenty of trade bait to go after another top of the rotation starter. If we don’t get that done this Winter and Boston is within reach, there will be a lot of trade action in July!!!