The Yankees held a press conference in Tampa, Fl at 2:30pm this afternoon to officially announce the re-signing of Derek Jeter.
The deal is technically a three-year $51 million deal, but the player option could increase it to a four-year $56 million deal plus another $9 million in possible incentives.
The Yankees wanted to hold the press conference in Orlando at the site of the winter meetings, but to reasons only known to Jeter, he refused. So instead they held the conference about three hours away in Tampa near Jeter’s home and the Yankees spring training complex.
- Brian Cashman welcomed Jeter, but added that he never really left.
- Jeter said it was the only organization that he had ever wanted to play for.
- Here are some quotes:
- “…Never planned on going anywhere else…“
- “I didn’t want to hear from any other teams…I didn’t want to play for any other teams”
- “What bothered me the most was how public this became...”
- “…Turned into a big public thing. Something I was not happy about…”
- “I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t angry about how some of this went…”
- “I thought I was portrayed incorrectly“
- Jeter added that he thought he was portrayed incorrectly. Didn’t like papers/fans attacking him for his ego, greed, and arrogance.
- Hank Steinbrenner was originally slated to join Jeter, Cashman, Hal Steinbrenner, Jennifer Steinbrenner, and Felix Lopez on the state, but for unknown reasons was removed at the last minute.
- Randy Levine and Lonn Trost were not in attendance, they were in the Bronx at the Pinstripe Bowl press conference.
- Jean Afterman was in Orlando taking care of business at the winter meetings.
This wasn’t exactly pretty and Jeter might have some right to be angry. But it’s over now. Time to move on and just hope that the fact that the Yankees bid against themselves doesn’t come back to bite them in the ass.