Rumors: Yankees Becoming Less Optimistic for Pettitte Return

Via Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York:

The New York Yankees’ optimism about the return of Andy Pettitte has waned somewhat over the past week, a team source told ESPNNewYork.com on Monday.

“Last week I thought the chances were 60-40. Now I think they’re 50-50 at best,” said the source, a team executive who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Asked why he was less hopeful of a return by the 38-year-old Pettitte, the source said, “Another week has gone by with no contact as far as I know.”

Here’s the thing. They might be less optimistic now, but nothing has changed since they were more optimistic. They’re just getting worried, but he still hasn’t retired.

I’ve said it a few times now, so much has been said about Pettitte coming back this offseason. The only fact that is out there is that he hasn’t made a decision one way or another. So until we hear from him speculating does us no good. It’s true that it does seem unlikely that he’ll return at this point, but if he knew that he wasn’t returning he would say so. Just like if he knew he was coming back he would say so as well.

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Rumors: Yankees Becoming Less Optimistic for Pettitte Return

1. Susan says:

Alright, I've got to say it. Screw Andy Pettitte. I'm sick and tired of him jerking us around. He already packed up his bags and left like a crying little girl after the 03 season saying he felt disrespected and that was a back breaker for us considering David Wells and Andy's BB Roger Clemens also bolted. Now we miss out on Cliff Lee which was a huge blow to our staff and he's pulling this crap. If he wanted to retire, fine. He should have done it after the season or shortly after. He's jerking the Yankees chain and he damn well knows it. Good bye Andrew Favre and good riddance. As much of a joke as Sigerio Mitre is, I'd rather him at this point. Sorry to seem so negative about this situation but I'm absolutely livid. What he's doing is nothing a true Yankee would do to us.

2. Susan says:

My guess is it's not so much the money but he wants the Yankees to come crawling to him begging. I hope they don't do it.

3. Bronx Knight says:

I think you guys are being a little harsh. I think that Andy Pettite is a true Yankee. As far as I know, Andy's statements all along have been, "I think I'm retiring. If I play, which I doubt, it will be for the Yankees. But I think I'm retiring."

I haven't heard any rumors of Andy playing with any other teams. He will either come back in pinstripes or he will retire. In my mind, that makes him a true Yankee.

Now, having said that, do I think that Andy is messing with the Yankees? Yes. I think Andy wants respect and more money — say, maybe $15M for one year. Now, true to the Yankees, he can't go flirting with other teams to drive up the price. So he sets up the straw man of retirement — "give me what I want or I'll just quit." That's actually what I think is going on behind the scenes.

But I still love Andy.

4. Susan says:

It could be that he really hasn't made up his mind, who knows. To be perfectly honest with you though, he was once my favorite Yankee… until he left the first time around. I never forgave him for that and I was never in favor in bringing him back. The Yankees are my life, nothing and I mean nothing means more to me and I consider anyone who leaves on their own free will as Andy did to be a traitor.

If I had a husband that left me for another and then decided to come back once he found out the grass wasn't actually greener on the other side, I wouldn't take him back and that's how I felt about Pettitte. Maybe a lot of you forgot but his leaving after the 2003 season for juvenile reasons really hurt this team big time for years. We were forced to go with buffoons like Javy Vasquez, Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, etc.

Had Andy stayed, there's a darn good chance we wouldn't have choked away a 3-0 lead to Boston the following season and likely would have beat the Cards for another World Series. Now I feel like he's playing games with us again and could very well kill our chances in 2011 after we failed to land Cliff Lee. Maybe I am being harsh but it's just how I feel. Had we not had such a miserable offseason thus far I would not be so negative here on a daily basis like I have been lately. I'm sorry for being that way, but damnit I'm frustrated.

5. smurfy says:

Here's some happy thoughts, Susan. Like taking a happy pill: now we have a dandy bullpen, deep enough to take the burden off a weak set of starters. We have a strong offensive team, likely to surpass last year's (Granderson on upswing; Martin, Jete and Tex: some rebound is in order). Bet we have another good starter by midyear, after trying out (and developing) some young talent. Mitre may even surprise, being another year healed from elbow surgery. And AJ has to do better.

Try to be happy!

• Franco Kotos says:

smurfy, as much as I respect your optimism, the reality is that a lot would have to go right for the Yankees to have a great season…without pitching, they are in trouble…they need starting pitching, if not, Soriano and Mo aren't going to be needed…but don't worry, Cashman will not go into this year with Mitre, he didn't use him much in relief, he's not about to hand over a starting position to him that easily and Nova will not be a starter by mid-season…Nova is a AAA pitcher at best…Yanks will have to wait until the killer B's arrive…this should be an interesting season, the Yankees need to keep close and make some good moves by mid-season…Montero will be traded for a starter some time in 2011…just some rambling…

6. Susan says:

Thanks Smurfy! I am trying to be happy and another solid pitcher would help get me there. In the mean time, where's that darn bottle of Xanax? :lol:

7. joey says:

Its all about the rodger trail in july.

8. cyril morley says:

Hope the yankees sign Andrew Jones- of with Melky Mesa-of as back outfeilder in 2011.

Pitcher Armando Galarraga from D. Tiger was put on Designated for Assignment today 18-1-2011. Yankees can trade Sergio Mitre to D.Tiger for this deal. Add pitcher Kevin Whelan to the deal and Tiger can throw in pitcher Joel Zumaya

9. This is real life, not a video game. The Tigers will not trade Zumaya for Whelan. Besides, he's as injury prone as pitchers get. He's not going to help anyone.

10. Susan says:

With Rivera, Soriano, Robertson and Joba, there would be little to no need for Zumaya. As for Galarraga, I'd be open to that idea if something could be worked out.

Susan – Future General Manager – NY Yankees. :)