Andrew Brackman Makes A Good Impression Early

andrew-brackmanVia Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger:

Andrew Brackman impressed manager Joe Girardi this afternoon during a session of throwing batting practice. He said the prospect’s command and delivery looked much improved from last season. The 6-foot-10 righty couldn’t have picked a better forum, with the team’s top baseball officials all looking on. Justin Maxwell, the former Nationals outfielder, faced Brackman during the session. He, too, came away impressed by the right-hander’s command.

This is a big deal for a pitcher who is battling at least six other pitchers, Ivan Nova, Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon, Sergio Mitre, Hector Noesi, and David Phelps, for one of two rotation spots.

It’s hard to see Brackman winning a job, although it is not impossible. He’s 25-years-old and physically ready for a big league job, but there is some idea that he still needs to work on his changeup to prove he’s ready.

There is also the fact that he’s at a disadvantage to the veterans. It’s not that the Yankees would necessarily go with Garcia and Colon just for their names, but both pitchers would become free agents if they don’t make the team. So just to increase their options the Yankees might be more willing to at least give them a shot on the roster. That way they could always have the other pitchers to fall back on.

The way I see it working out is that Nova gets the no. 4 spot and one of the veterans, Garcia or Colon will get the no. 5 spot. Then they’ll try to stick with that as long as possible before maybe trying Mitre or the prospect who is pitching the best at that point in the rotation down the road.

Though if Brackman proves that he’s the best option available, they’ll go with him. There are just more options if the Yankees do it the other way.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Andrew Brackman Makes A Good Impression Early

1. Marc Perez says:

good development, im pullin for him

2. clay says:

Even tho I'm a fan of the red sox I still enjoy reading about AL East teams. I really enjoy the blog. I'm starting one myself, if anyone wants to check it out at http://arthurguinnessismyhero.blogspot.com/ I would definitely appreciate the traffic!

3. tron says:

I would like to see this rotation

1. C.C. Sabathia

2. Phil Hughs

3. A.J. Burnett (or not)

4. Bartolo Colon

5. Ivan Nova

• Mindkind says:

I would like to see this starting rotation:

C.C Sabathia

Hughes

Burnett

Nova

Brackman

• Bronx Knight says:

Mindkind, I'll admit to not knowing much about Nova. He just had replacement-type numbers last year, on 40 IP (4.50 ERA, 96 ERA+. 1.45 WHIP). Are they projecting better numbers for him? What is his ceiling like?

4. It's pretty hard to predict Nova. He's always been the type where scouts have raved about him, but he didn't have the numbers to back it up. Toward the end of his minor league career this changed a bit and his numbers started catching up to scouting reports. But because of that it is hard to say for certain what the Yankees will get out of him in the majors.

I would say he'd make a great 3-4 type, but he does have impressive stuff. He could land anywhere on the map.

• Mindkind says:

That's the thing that puzzles me with Nova. I'm not a pro scout but when I saw his stuff last year I was impressed. He got, in my eyes, really good stuff. I think the first five innings of his starts are proof of that. Now if you were to ask me why he struggled after I could only say fatigue. Also, he might need different pitch patterns. But in all from my humble perspective I think Nova, if not this year next year, will be a playoff starter for the Yankees.

5. Mindkind says:

To tell you the truth Bronx Knight I haven’t seen scouts projections for Nova. The things I’ve read about him always say he can be a 4th or 5th starter. what I know about Nova I know from watching him pitch last year. I saw good stuff from the kid, good fastball and his curveball I heard was tweaked by Dave Eiland. I see a really good young pitcher here. Did you watch Nova pitch last year?