Rumors: Yankees Considering Kazmir, Saunders, and Others

Via Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports:

LH targets kicked around by some #Yankees people: [Joe Saunders], [Scott Kazmir], [Wade LeBlanc], [Clayton Richard], [Gio Gonzalez]. Just ideas right now.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has been operating for most of this offseason with the belief that Andy Pettitte was not coming back. But now that his retirement is official there is no doubt that Cashman is going to increase his efforts to add a quality starter to the rotation.

The thing is that these are the Yankees. They want front of the rotation talent and they’ll do what they have to do to get it. The problem is that there really is no front end talent available. All of the names listed above are middle of the rotation types at best. Also, teams know that the Yankees are desperate at this point so they are going to ask for a lot for any of these pitchers.

Cashman has preached patience since the day Cliff Lee signed with the Phillies and he is very proud of the farm system he has been integral in creating. So if teams are going to be looking to get an arm and a leg for any of these pitchers, he’s just going to pass.

So even though Yankees fans are clamoring for a better option, the truth is that there really may not be one at this time. So at this point the Yankees are going to go into spring training and will try out Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia, and a long list of minor league prospects.

At some point during the season a starter will become available and the Yankees will be aggressive when that time comes. Until then it’s going to be a rotation by trial and error.

What do you think? Are any of the names above worth a package of good prospects? Or should the Yankees wait for something better to come along?

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Rumors: Yankees Considering Kazmir, Saunders, and Others

1. Mindkind says:

I think they should wait for something better.

2. Bill says:

Wait till July and see what's available.

3. Kevin Ocala, Fl says:

NFW

4. Ralph Eherts says:

Be patient and wait for the kids to ripen.

5. Susan says:

Just don't dare actually go into the season with Mitre as the fifth starter. Right now Garcia seems to be the best option but if a trade can be reached for a 3 or 4, I'd do it. I think Hughes is a solid 2 and if AJ turns it around we'll be in good shape. The whole season hinges on Burnett as far as I'm concerned.

• Bronx Knight says:

If the season started today, it would likely be CC-Hughes-AJ-Garica-Nova. Mitre actually performed well in long relief in 2010, but I think everyone agrees that he just doesn't have the stuff to be a starter, even at the back of the rotation. He'll get clobbered after around May once people get the hang of his three pitches.

I definitely agree with Susan and Rob: Everything hinges on AJ. If he pitches up to his potential, then we can compete for the playoffs, despite the weak 4 and 5 spots in our rotation.

If not … cue the death march (dum-dum-da-dum ….)

6. Joe says:

Trust the kids. They have more heart and they are cheaper.

7. Matt says:

Saunders had a scrappy start against the Yanks in the ALCS, but unless he is low cost I don’t trade anyone good for him. I’m with Susan, no matter who they bring in this season is still on AJ.

8. A lot of this does fall on Burnett. If he has a strong healthy season the Yankees could take the wildcard. Without him though, somebody unexpected will need to step up big time.

• Susan says:

I actually think if AJ returns to prominence we can take the division. Everyone is bagging on the Yankees rotation, and rightfully so but I'm far from sold on the BloSox's rotation either. For the first time in a while, I am worried that the wildcard may well come from another division. I'm betting on the Angels taking back the West after a flukey season for them which means Texas could get a wild card. I wouldn't even count out the A's who have some good pitching. In the Central I think the Twins will win but I think Chicago will also be pretty good. It's going to be really tough this season and if AJ flames, we're in trouble. Or God forbid CC or Hughes gets hurt.

9. NELSON says: