Rumors: Yankees Still In Contact with Kevin Millwood

Via Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated:

Yankees still in contact with Millwood. does this mean they’re growing more worried about Pettitte’s decision?

A couple of things. This tweet came out before the news that Andy Pettitte broke, but Joel Sherman of the Post reported that Pettitte actually informed the Yankees yesterday that he planned to retire. So when Heyman questions if the Yankees still talking with Kevin Millwood means they are worried about Pettitte’s decision, the answer is that they already knew he would retire.

So there is a good reason to believe that now that the Yankees know for sure that Pettitte plans on retiring that they’re going to ramp up their effort to sign Millwood.

The only issue is that according to Buster Olney of ESPN, Millwood is looking for a deal in the $4-$5 million range. That seems like a lot for a guy who had a 4-16 record and a 5.10 ERA last season. But Millwood has durability going for him if nothing else and the Yankees may be forced to pay him.

The Yankees would probably prefer to give Millwood a minor league deal with incentives based on starts. At this point it seems unlikely that Millwood would take that kind of an offer, but if the incentives were enticing enough then he might consider it.

What do you think? Without Pettitte in 2011 do the Yankees need to sign Millwood or is he washed up and not worth it?

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Rumors: Yankees Still In Contact with Kevin Millwood

1. Bronx Knight says:

What’s the point here? Millwood is about as bad as you can be and still have a full-time job as a major league starter. Three of the four past years his ERA and WHIP have been over 5.00 and 1.5, respectively. His ERA+ has been under 90 for three of the past four years.
    Forget about Millwood. Let’s go with what we’ve got: Nova, Garcia and/or Colon if they do well in spring training, and a cast of thousands of solid prospects (e.g., Brackman), any one of whom can be no worse than Millwood.
    In fact, maybe we should just give the no. 5 slot to a rotating cast of promising rookies, give them a shot for a few starts, give them experience in the bigs, let them surprise a few teams, then pull them out before the hitters get a chance to adjust. Repeat as many times as needed.

2. David K. says:

We don’t need him, why are they wasting time and money on him? Sergio Mitre would be a much better number 5 starter than Millwood. Enough said. Sometimes I just don’t get their thinking process.

3. Kevin Ocala, Fl says:

Forget about the money for a minute (unless, of course your shareholder). A guy like Millwood throwing 200+ innings helps keep the bullpen fresh which ripples through the whole team. Mitre, on the other hand has demonstrated that he's a twice around the order pitcher,a guy that should only be used in blow-outs, basically. Running the kids out like a relay team for the 5th spot sounds good in theory. But, more than a few young pitchers psyche, not to mention arms have been blown over the years. But it could work. What I don't know, and what the Yankees do know, is what kind of stuff does Millwood still have? And can he remain healthy? At the end of the day I'd be inclined to offer, as Rob wrote, an incentive-laden minor league contract. Take it or leave it, how many teams are knocking on Millwood's door? I can't see the Yankees being leveraged because of Andy's retirement, and I doubt that Cashman will….

• Bronx Knight says:

Kevin, no offense, but what good will it do the Yankees to have a guy like Millwood throw 200 innings of batting practice?

ANY reasonable in-house option would be better than Millwood. Heck, even Sergio Mitre. For all that we (including me) complain that Mitre sucks, in 2010, he had a 3.33 ERA, 1.1 WHIP, and 2:1 strike to walk ratio, over 54 innings. I'll take that over what Millwood gave last year.

• Mindkind says:

On a minor league deal why not bring in a Millwood? The more arms competing the better. At the end if one of the pitching prospects shows he’s ready you drop the reclamation projects and give the kid the job. Competition is not a bad thing, I’m for bringing Millwood but only on a minor league contract.

4. NYYank55 says:

Let’s give the kids a shot now that the opportunity exists. Enough of these washed up has beens already!!!

• Joe says:

I agree. We have some very talented young arms, Give them a chance.

• Mindkind says:

It's what I've been saying actually SCREAMING all along! They have the prospects now they have an even greater opportunity to give the kids a shot. Let the kids play!!!

5. Susan says:

I don’t get their thinking lately either but I can say without reservation, Kevin Millwood seems like Nolan Ryan compared to Sergio Mitre. Why on earth that slug is still on the Yankees roster is what is truly puzzling. I mean, honest to God, would Mitre even land on another major league roster if we flat released him? Certainly not on any respectable roster. The real question is, is Millwood a better option than Freddy Garcia? And no, I’m not even going to consider Bartolo Colon for a spot. Maybe as a mop up guy in Trenton or maybe if we want to enter someone in a hot dog eating contest but absolutely no way to be a starting pitcher in the AL East.

• Bronx Knight says:

Susan, Tony Pena coached Colon in the Dominican this winter, and he saw something that made him think that Colon has some stuff left. Maybe old Bartolo will be comeback kid of the year, how knows? Put his large butt out there in spring training and see what happens.

And yes, I still believe in Santa Claus. Every time I see “A Miracle on 34th Street,” I get all choked up.

• Mindkind says:

Wow funny stuff Susan, hot dog eating contest? But last I heard,unless I’m mistaken, Colon was hitting 90 on the radar gun and guys that eat hot dogs are not supposed to do that. Anyway, What I’m trying to say is just because the guy is fat doesn’t mean he can’t pitch, look at CC, look at Wells. The guy didn’t have the worst numbers in the time he was in the Dominican Republic. So on a minor league deal why not sign a former Cy Young winner? It’s just competition.

• Susan says:

I know I'm probably being overly negative lately but I am just absolutely frustrated beyond words at the complete buffoonery and asininity coming from the front office this off season. It's embarrassing.

• Susan says:

And don’t ask me where that weird looking avatar came from because I have no idea. lol

• Bronx Knight says:

Your avatar's not so bad, looks like a flying heart. I apparently have Rosie the robot maid from the Jetsons cartoon.

6. Franco Kotos says:

I’m tired on the Yankees looking at washed up pitchers…make a trade and get someone with some decent credentials…

• Mindkind says:

Making a trade is not as easy as saying I want to make a trade. First you have to identify a player you want, team player plays for, is the player on the trading block?, do the Yankees have the players that team wants to make a deal? Does it make sense for not just the short term but long term situation of the franchise? Franco what player you think is available right now for the Yankees to trade for?

7. Mike S. says:

From Twitter:

Sweeney Murti: Best answer I've heard (He replies to @KenDavidoff): AL team exec, on #Yankees: "Millwood is not a help. He's just a name people know."

8. Mac says:

I would welcome adding Millwood to the mix of possible starters … Not that I don`t want to give the young guys a chance – but most (maybe Brackman the exception) need a little more seasoning … Millwood`s K/9 and BB/9 rates were consistent with his career numbers last season with Baltimore, yet his era and W/L numbers were not … MAYBE the problem was the team behind him, NOT him? What’s the harm in having Millwood compete with Nova and Mitre (along with Colon and Garcia) for the 4 and 5 rotation spots? After all – the GOAL IS BEATING THE RED SOX, RAYS and BLUE JAYS for 1st place in the league … and of all those names mentioned, Millwood, at age 36, certainly has as much promise as any of them. In 2009, he was 13-10, with an era of 3.67 pitching in that hitters park in Texas. I`m not saying he`s the “answer”, I’m saying he’s a nice, low cost, possible answer, with little risk on a 1 year contract … and if he duplicates 2009 in a Yankees uniform in 2011 … we ALL would be VERY HAPPY!

• Mike S. says:

Millwood is an extreme flyball pitcher. May not play well in Yankee Stadium. Of course, the bandbox that is Camden Yards didn't help him.

Thing is, he's asking for $4 to $5 million after coming off three of last four years with 5.00+ ERAs.

Now if he'd take a minor league deal, loaded with incentives, like Colon or Garcia, then he'd be worth the look. But a straight-up $4 to $5 M? No.