Yankees Have 6 on Baseball America’s Top 100 Prospects List

yankees gary sanchezBaseball America released their list of the top 100 prospects in the nation today and the Yankees are well represented with six players landing on the list. That’s more than any teams except for the Rays and Royals.

Here are the Yankees on the list and where they rank:

BA already released their Top 10 Yankees prospects list so the order isn’t surprising. The only surprise to me is that six and not four or five Yankees made the list.

Montero moved up from no. 4 on the list a year ago, although the three players in front of him a year ago all graduated so he was actually leapfrogged by two players (Bryce Harper and Mike Trout). Romine was the only other Yankee on this list a year ago when he checked in at no. 86 so he slid a bit. Betances (’07) and Brackman (’09) were both on this list in the past, but fell off. So it’s nice to see them back on it. Banuelos and Sanchez are first timers.

This should serve as a reminder that the Yankees do things a bit differently these days. In the past they really didn’t care about the draft or developing players. Today they put a lot of emphasis on that. If you include Arodys Vizcaino, they actually had seven players on this list originally drafted or signed by the Yankees. Only the Royals can top that.

Now hopefully some of these players can either fulfill their potential or be useful trade chips.

The entire list can be read here.

The above photo of Gary Sanchez by Robert Pimpsner.

This entry was posted in Prospect Rankings and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Yankees Have 6 on Baseball America’s Top 100 Prospects List

1. Franco Kotos says:

I'm surprised to see Austin Romine on the list. He's not much of an upgrade defensively over Montero and has half the bat.

2. JoeYankeeFan says:

Just to think we lost Vizcaino for nothing(Javy Vasquez) is very depressing. Hopefully Boone Logan can have another strong year to lighten the blow.

• Vizcaino is still very young and the Yankees got a draft pick back for Vazquez. I’m not saying it still doesn’t hurt, but at least it softens the blow.

• JoeYankeeFan says:

That's right because he was a class-A FA or something like that right ?? What round will it be ?? #2 ?

Should be low in the round considering the Marlins.

That is a nice little rule that provides teams a little security.

3. Mike B. says:

It hurts to see posted a 9-4 recoed with a 2.74 ERA. Vazquez wasn't even a factor.

Only thing worse if he was traded to Red Sox or Rays Imagine how Sox fans felt after the Babe Ruth trade.

Kind of concerns me when Cash likes certain players that didint work out in NY first time around. I read he made a large 1 yr offer to Pavano just before he signed with Twins.

Cash needs to listen to his baseball people better.

4. tron says:

ivan nova?

5. Marc Green says:

As you see from my email address I love the Yankees. Going to 1989 and 1990 Yanks Fantasy Camps I was one of the few people in the World Mickey Mantle ever kissed…on the cheek.

Since 1960 I have lived with the Yankees as my friend-family-and guiding light…I hope to live long enough to see Jeter finish his career.

Go Yankees…can't wait to see Babe Ruth in heaven.