Rumors: Yankees Offered Twins Nova & Pena for Liriano

ivan-novaVia Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports:

The Yankees at one point this offseason dangled right-hander Ivan Nova and infielder Ramiro Pena for  [Francisco Liriano], according to a major league source. The Twins, however, want prized left-hander Manny Banuelos as part of any package, the source says. Though just 20, Banuelos is expected to open the season at Double A.

The teams have not spoken in at least a month, according to a second source. But given the Yankees’ needs, the discussions are almost certain to revive before Opening Day.

The source that confirmed that the sides haven’t talked in about a month is Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated. His source also used the words “right now” leaving open the possibility that the two sides could resume talks again. That might happen a little closer to the start of the season or they could start again in June.

Either way, at this point it seems like these sides will attempt to work out a deal. The Twins don’t seem to want to hold on to this guy long-term. They question his ability to stay healthy, his communication with the club, and his style on the mound. It seems crazy to give up on a guy so good and so young, but armed with these reasons and probably realizing the fact that they won’t be able to afford him when he gets to free agency, a trade seems inevitable. It’s just a matter of when.

Whatever they do talk, the Yankees are likely to do whatever they have to to keep the Twins from insisting on Banuelos or Betances. A package of Nova and Pena won’t likely get it done, but the Yankees do have prospects better than Pena and worse than Banuelos. It’s a matter of negotiating and settling on another one.

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Rumors: Yankees Offered Twins Nova & Pena for Liriano

1. Mindkind says:

Would have been a steal of a trade!

2. Susan says:

Ramiro Pena eh? Wow, I'm shocked the Twins didn't jump at the chance to have that world beater. :roll:

3. Believe it or not the Twins like him and supposedly see starting potential in him because his glove is so strong.

• Mindkind says:

Knowing how much Twins value defense I believe you Rob. Peña is a strong defender like you wrote and given the 9th spot in a lineup wouldn't be the worst thing a manager can do.

4. Susan says:

Wow, they could have him for a bucket of balls if I were the GM. I'd much rather go with Nunez. Or anyone for that matter. To be honest I never really saw that great of a glove with Pena. Nothing terrible but nothing great either. And his bat… blehhh

• Mindkind says:

Ramiro Peña's glove is very strong but I too would go with Nuñez. I think Eduardo has more upside than Peña.

5. Susan says:

He might have a strong glove but I doubt he could hit .300 if he was allowed to hit off a tee all year. I just could never imagine having an every day player that was as close to an automatic out as you'll ever get. If Eric Chavez stays healthy (a big if) he'd be great to have as a back up infielder or to put in at third for late inning defense.

6. Mindkind says:

Wow you keep 'em coming! "I doubt he could hit .300 if he was allowed to hit off a tee all year" lol brutal! I agree if Chavez stays healthy I too would prefer him.

• Susan says:

Glad you liked that. ;) I admit some of the stuff I say here, I try to be humorous. Sadly, this is not the case here. I honestly don't believe Ramiro Pena is big league material and I can not fathom why we've not only had him on the roster the past couple years but that Girardi seems to go out of his way at times to get him playing time.

• David K. says:

Well, he is a nice kid. Everyone likes him as a person. It's too bad he just doesn't seem to have enough talent as a hitter.