Where Have Our Values Gone?

Anyone who follows national politics knows of the ongoing fiscal debate, and the political mess that has come with it: Republicans want tax cuts for the wealthiest American’s, shifting all the burdens to the less fortunate, while Democrats have failed to form a cohesive resolution within their own party.

More often than not it has seemed that this debate has strayed from todays economic realities, and fallen into a chasm of special interests. The words of the economists and the cries for help from the working class all seem to ring silently. Clearly, something is wrong.

Drive a few miles from capitol hill to Nationals Park, and the debate keeps on going. Major League Baseball has recently taken over the operations of the Los Angeles Dodgers, as it became evident that owner Frank McCourt was taking funds from the team for his own interests. The New York Mets, too, find themselves in a legal battle.

Take a short plane ride north to Baltimore to see a Ravens game, and yet another battle continues. The National Football League remains in a lockdown, as players and owners have failed to come to an agreement. With the District Court ruling to reopen football operations on Monday, the Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit awaits to hear the case.

There used to be a time when the mess of the federal government did not leak into the American psyche that innocently operated within the confinement of football and baseball fields, hockey rings and basketball courts.

Unfortunately, we have lost that privilege that Americans had always held so close. We can’t help but ask ourselves: what went wrong?

Recall what your mother would say to you in fifth grade when you made fun of your friend in the schoolyard: “Would you have liked that if it were done to you?” That Golden Rule – as many call it – that fundamental principle that lies at the core of our decency, does not thrive within any parameters. It was true on the playground at recess, it was true when President Barack Obama echoed it in his book, The Audacity of Hope, and it remains true today, on any scale.

Would Paul Ryan urge for the privatization of Medicare if he was the one who would have to deny medical insurance to send his kid to college? Would George Bush have gone to war if it was his own son or daughter would be sent abroad?

And would Frank McCourt or the National Football League mess with their industries if they were the kid at home wondering why Eli Manning couldn’t take the field?

This greed and selfishness – this complete lack of regard for those without a voice – has been accepted in politics. It has been tolerated for years – despite some cynicism – because people generally understand the difficulty of solving such large issues, no matter how much bickering takes place.

Yet, as this new notion of personal gain enters the world of sports, we will soon discover a much different response. These problems are not hard to fix, and no one should stand for a lack of sports because a group of multi-millionaires can’t decide on a number of millions.

It’s time for this to stop. It was enough when Alex Rodriguez signed a contract for nearly $300 million to swing a bat. When baseball and football become debatable issues in federal courts, you know something has gone wrong.

This entry was posted in Editorial. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Where Have Our Values Gone?

1. Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

Not really sure what any of this has to do with the Yankees.

As for the wealthy trying to shift the tax burden on to the less fortunate, the bottom 50% of this country don't pay virtually any income tax. The 50-80 percentile pays a pittance as well. I certainly don't support the idea of further tax cuts for the rich but what this country needs is to reign in spending and in a major way.

2. Sonny Mooks says:

Not to get political here, but if you follow the golden rule, which is about how would you like it if it was done to you, well, how would the poor like it if taxes were raised on them ? Then why should they violate the golden rule and raise taxes on the rich ? Where have our values gone, when we think its okay to basically want to steal from one group, and give to another, and where have our values gone, when we force people to pay for something they do not want, simply because someone else determines its in their best interests ?

RE: Paul Ryan, considering he is a Randian, then answer is almost absolutely yes.

Here is the question, when did our values change, to where we are now obsessed with how much money someone else has ? I don't care about someone elses sexual orientation anymore then how much they make or how much they pay in taxes or what they spend their money on (meaning, I mind my own business)…..I guess MYOB is no longer a Value.

3. af says:

You guys should really stick to discussing baseball.

• Sonny Mooks says:

Agreed, this is a Yankee website, not a politics site.

• I agree. I graduated with a political science degree and stopped discussing politics with that.

• Sonny Mooks says:

Cool, I got my degree in Government and Politics, and learned the hard way, what a pain it is at parties……..now I change the subject to…………..DA YANKEES !!!!!!!!

• Jess says:

Read the article… It's not about politics.

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

I originally read every bit of it and it's predominantly about politics. I can't understand how you can make such a disingenuous comment like that. What little isn't about politics is not about baseball, and none of it is about the Yankees, even though you'd like to guise it as such by throwing ARod's contract in there.

4. Susan says:

Sheesh, what happened to our offense tonight? :(

5. Sonny Mooks says:

I can't believe we almost got no hit (at home) by a twice released scrub who has a fastball that couldn't break wind……oh wait, I forgot, it was the Yanks first time facing him, which means, they automatically get shut down……

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

I thought Humbler was pitching great. New guy or not, his stuff was seriously on tonight with great movement and pitch selection.

• Sonny Mooks says:

I'm not sure how much of this was his stuff clicking or them not being familiar with him, it seems like whenever they face a soft tossing junkballer for the first time, they get dominated.

That said, I'm noticing that, across the line up, they seem susceptible to change ups, going back to last year, it seems like change ups have become their biggest weakness.

6. john says:

Why is this on a Yankees site? get this crap post off the site. What a joke

7. john says:

Hey whoever wrote this crap how about Obama bombing Libya without the Approval of Congress? Why dont you mention that? I went to Iraq in 2004 and never thought we belonged there and we dont belong in Libya but you liberals will never ever criticize your hero. Keep your political views off the sports site go write for the Huffington post.

Hope all the Yankees fans had a good easter and hope we get at Floyd Buehrle and Jackson.

8. Mike S. says:

162 games. Anything can and usually does happen. This isn't football, where there is 16 games with the same QB (if you're lucky). It's baseball. 162 games and different pitchers. As such, you can score 15 and hit 5 HR on a Saturday and get shutout on 3 hits two nights later. That's baseball.

9. Dave says:

I agree there are plenty of websites to spout populist ideas. Please stick to baseball.

10. Ralph Eherts says:

Please stick to baseball

11. Jim says:

I'm more concerned with Phil Hughes' arm then I am with this off the beat article.

12. The Pirate says:

The politic shall not have a place in this site. Stick to baseball and the NYY.

13. Lew says:

I'm really disappointed that the (apparently Liberal) Authors have decided to use this forum to state their political opinions. I'll find another site to get my Yankees news.

14. chris says:

You guys have got to be kidding! This is a disgusting post! Screw you!!!

15. Brian Burkhart says:

Labor disagreements are not a recent development, nor are they a recent development in sports. The "notion of personal gain" in particular is not recent. Baseball players were VERY concerned with their salaries since the very beginning and this led to a lot of ill will between players and owners. (Halberstam's Summer of '49 mentions a lot of this, but really it's everywhere.)

The real interesting story here I think is that baseball does NOT have labor issues right now and is the only major sport without a salary cap. The article mentions A-Rod's deal, which is obviously large, but I have a tough time criticizing players too much for trying to get as much money as possible. Would you rather the money go to the millionaire players who play the game or the billionaire owners?

As fans we tend to think about salary caps in terms of fairness to overall competitive balance; but how fair is it to the players to make a salary cap? It's easy for us to say they make enough money, but I promise you that no one would like it if their profession received a salary cap – even those in finance/business whose salaries eclipse professional athletes.

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

Salary caps are not fair to fans either. Not to mention that it would be a devastating blow to the economics of baseball.

16. john says:

Agreed Im going to find another outlet to get updates on guys like hughes and Cervelli and all the other issues with my favorite SPORTS team. Like I said if I wanted to read someone suck up to Obama I would Go To NBC CNN ABC CBS Huffingtin post and all the other outlets that are Loyal. Same for Conservatives I would go to their sites to follow their political views.

And to the person who wrote this you never had the guts to answer my question.

WOULD OBAMA SEND HIS KIDS TO LIBYA?

OR DO YOU ONLY CRITICIZE REPUBLICANS?

THATS WHAT I THOUGHT.

GOODBYE BRONX BASEBALL DAILY!

17. steve says:

thanks for having the guts to speak your mind. politics does effect sports. and every point you made was valid. alas i guess i'm alone in my position. the pipple has spoken.

18. T Lee says:

Sad to see politics injected into this former Yankees only blog.

But since you are going there,

"Republicans want tax cuts for the wealthiest American’s, shifting all the burdens to the less fortunate…"

You need to do a little more research before posting such comments. You are watching too much MSNBC, instead of Yankee baseball.

• David K. says:

It's true that this article is about football collective bargaining agreements rather than about Yankee baseball, but you guys are wrong. This rich man's problem of how to divide the trillion dollar pie b/w players and owners will pop up again in baseball as soon as the current collective bargaining agreement expires. And when it does, all of us fans get screwed again.

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

Fine, and if and when that happens, let's talk about it. Let's not spend time discussing things that are way off in the indeterminate future and relate to the Yankees at this time in the most roundabout way. Heck, should we be talking about Montero's free agent contract right now while we're at it? Because that is A LOT more applicable to this sight but I'm guessing it's probably not the appropriate time.