Yankees Plan On Using Eduardo Nunez More

eduardo-nunezAnd so begins the transition from Derek Jeter the everyday player to Derek Jeter the expensive bench piece.

Before yesterdays game Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Mike Mazzeo of ESPN New York that they plan on using Eduardo Nunez more often against left handed pitchers.

“I feel like this young man has a lot of upside,” Girardi said of Nunez. “He’s swung the bat well for us. I think [he’s] a young man that’s exciting whenever he goes out there, because of his speed and what he brings to the game. This is a kid that we have high hopes for, and he’s gonna see some time against left-handers.

“And we can DH Jeet [Derek Jeter] or[Alex Rodriguez] in a sense to give them that half-day off.”

Hopefully the Yankees don’t give A-Rod too many days off (although with his hip he should still see at least one day a week off) because Jeter has just not improved over his career worst season last year.

His batting average, OBP, and slugging percentage are all less than what they were a year ago. His power has taken an especially big hit dropping his slugging down from .370 to .316. Him and the Yankees can talk about adjusting his swing all they want, but it hasn’t worked.

I don’t think even the most skeptical Yankees fans would have guessed that Jeter would begin to see less playing time in the first  year of a ill-advised four year contract they gave him.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Yankees Plan On Using Eduardo Nunez More

1. Bronx Knight says:

This is just too painful to think about. In fact, if Nunez continues to get time at shortstop, I will just pretend that he is actually Derek Jeter. I will also pretend that Jeter is actually Nunez, getting time at DH or on the bench.

This will make me feel better.

• SHAWN SUMMERS says:

YOU CANT PRETEND THAT NUNEZ IS JETER BECAUSE NUNEZ DOESNT HAVE THE DEFENSE AT SHORTSTOP THAT JETER HAS PLUS HE REALLY ISNT HITTING THE BALL ANY BETTER THEN JETER, THESE GUYS ARE RIDICOULOUS TO USE JETER LIKE THIS,

• Defense at shortstop? Jeter? What year is this?

• Susan says:

Exactly Rob. While Jeter isn't committing a lot of errors there's plenty he's just not able to get to any more. I still don't see Nunez as our SS of the future as some claim.

• In the sense that the Yankees have to have an all-star at every position Nunez is probably not the SS of the future, but he seems pretty solid to me. He could be a .300 hitter and I think that his defensive problems that he's been experiencing lately are partially a byproduct of not playing everyday/playing so many different positions. My feeling is that he'll improve with more playing time.

• Bronx Knight says:

Rob, do you really think that Nunez can be a .300 hitter? Because a .300-hitting SS IS an All-Star.

• Freddie Yankee says:

I think Nunez's defensive struggles are overblown. He's had a little bit of issues with nerves I think. He made a few good plays the other day, and didn't record an error.

SS of the future? Probably not. Of the next few seasons? Possibly.

2. Susan says:

Why do I have the number 25p by my name and what does this mean?

3. jim jaworski says:

Once a players bat speed start to slow up working with a hitting coach probably will not help.
    It is as simply as that. Bat speed is one of the talents that got you to the bigs.