MLB All-Star Game: What My Ballot Looks Like

Based on early voting it seems like it could the Yankees vs. the NL All-Stars. Yankees fans vote and vote often it seems like. The bottom line though is that the All-Star voting is more of a popularity contest than a true telling of who the best players are.

So I decided to take my ballot seriously and try to determine which players are the best at each position in the league. Here is my ballot:

MY AL PICKS:

C: Alex Avila, Tigers – An easy choice, he stands out among all of the rest.

1B: Adrian Gonzalez, Red Sox – Another easy choice. A .358 AVG, .610 SLG speak for themselves.

2B: Howie Kendrick, Angels – Our 1st tough one. His .363 OBP is not as nice as Pedrioa’s, but his .488 SLG is much nicer.

SS: Asdrubal Cabrera, Indians – Barely edged out Alexei Ramirez because of speed and power. Defense not so much.

3B: Alex Rodriguez, Yankees – What? I was going to pick Youkilis?

OF: Jose Bautista, Blue Jays – No explanation needed.

OF: Curtis Granderson, Yankees – I’m hoping he’s still competing for the MVP in September.

OF: Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox – Hard choice picking him over Brett Gardner, but I had to.

P: Justin Verlander, Tigers – Another one who just edged out a Yankee. He’s been that good this year though.

MY NL PICKS:

C: Brian McCann, Braves – There are other catchers to consider, but he’s better than all of them.

1B: Prince Fielder, Brewers – He has 10 more homers than Votto, whom I would have selected 2nd.

2B: Rickie Weeks, Brewers – He has put together a great year, a .362 OBP and a .505 SLG.

SS: Jose Reyes, Mets – Not only does he have a much higher OBP than Tulo, he actually has a slightly higher SLG. Throw in 27 SB’s and this one was easy.

3B: Chipper Jones, Braves – No good choices at 3B in the NL this year so I went with the throwback. His .353 OBP and .438 SLG aren’t bad.

OF: Matt Kemp, Dodgers – Great numbers, .418 OBP, .625 SLG. 21 SB’s too.

OF: Andrew McCutchen, Pirates – Speed, amazing defense, a .390 OBP. Yeah…

OF: Ryan Braun, Brewers – Great season, .391 OBP, .547 SLG, 16 SB’s. Barely beat out Justin Upton though. Matt Holliday also up there.

P: Roy Halladay, Phillies – It was going to be a Philly, it was just a matter of which one. Drew this name out of a hat.

Let’s hear from you! Who was my biggest snub? How would your ballot look different?

This entry was posted in Editorial and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to MLB All-Star Game: What My Ballot Looks Like

1. Matt says:

Not quite sure how you pick Asdrubal over Alexi and somehow don't even mention Cano…who is the best defensive second basemen in the AL, and has an identical batting average as Asdrubal with two more homers and 5 more RBI (not to mention Cano anchors the team with the best record in the MLB)

• 2nd base was the hardest spot to pick. I was just impressed with what Kendrick did early in the year especially and disappointed in Cano's defense. That position was really a toss up between 4 or 5 guys.

As for Asdrubal over Alexi, that was another close one. Alexi's defense weighed in big time, but in the end Asdrubal has shown much more power and nearly 10 more stolen bases.

2. Matt says:

Scratch that, I meant Kendrick over Cano, when Kendrick has a BA of 10 points higher with almost half the HR and RBI…

3. YankeezFan says:

2nd BASE ???? If you look at the overall career of Cano and Kendrick this is such a noob pick…. so you dont like a couple of games where Cano booted the ball… Kendrick isnt much better defensively. I think you need a reality check. Cano was in the MVP voting last year, was Kendrick? Cano is JUST THAT GOOD, head and shoulder over Kendrick, or PEDROIA who you also didnt mention, (btw Pedrioa won a MVP award a couple years ago). I think you picked against Yankee players just to show anti-yankee fans you didnt favour the Yankee players in your selection. Poor judgement used here.

• This has nothing to do with their careers or even last year. It is based solely on who should start in the all-star game based on this year's stats. Plus, Cano hasn't just booted the ball in one or two games. He's been overall poor when it comes to defense this year.

If you are being honest, there are 4 second basemen, maybe 5, who are all having very good seasons and a case can be made for any of them. I just happened to pick Kendrick to recognize a new name.

• Mike Sommer says:

My vote usually is a mixture of past and present performance. But regarding Cano, there was no excuse for his lackadaisical play of yesterday. 1st and 3rd, one out, he catches a popup, checks that the man on third isn't going and nonchalantly tosses the ball back in. As (I think it was) Smoltz stated, they must have had a good scouting report on Cano being nonchalant in doing that, for the runner at first tagged and went to second. Fortunately, Nova got the next man out and got out of the inning. Had that man singled, Cano's nonchalance would have cost a run. Inexcusable.

4. MrGJG says:

I'm a Yankee fan but no way is CC ( assuming that's who you meant) a toss-up with Verlander for the #1 spot.
    Maybe Weaver, Shields or even Beckett, although he's light on IP, deserve that designation before Sabathia.
    What do you just look at W/L record?
    You're certainly not a homer as you snubbed Cano.
    Back to the drawing board.

• The bottom line is that I didn't pick CC, just because I mentioned him doens't mean you have to get all upset.

I suppose that I might be biased against Weaver because of his brother's days with the team though.

• MrGJG says:

If you let your bias spill into your analysis, you do your readers no favors.

• We are talking about two pitchers who have a 0.1 difference in their WARs. Plus it's a meaningless vote for a meaningless game. Don't take all of the fun out of this please.

5. Mike Sommer says:

I was close to Rob's. I had the AL the same except I went with Cano. No pitchers can be named by we the fan, so I didn't bother with that or will get into that. Chose Big Fatty for DH.

NL the same except at 2B (I chose Phillips), and 3B (I took Polanco; with the Phils' offense really not that great, he carried them early in the season when Utley was out); I went with Kemp, Upton and Braun for the NL OF.

6. Like you said Rob, it has nothing to do with their careers.
    I really hope Jurrjens will be the NL pitcher, so far he deserves it more than Doc

PS When rumors said yankees will trade for a Braves pitcher i was waiting for Jurrjens, but BOOM it was Vazquez