Sergio Mitre Returns to the Yankees

It certainly is not a blockbuster, but the Yankees have traded for starting pitcher Sergio Mitre for cash from the Brewers, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

In order to make room for him on the roster Buddy Carlyle was designated for assignment, according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com. The Yankees now have 10 days to trade or release him.

Mitre, who has a 3.27 ERA in 22 appearances this year, was originally traded to the Brewers this preseason for outfielder Chris Dickerson, but was designated for assignment this week so the Brew Crew can increase their bench.

Mitre isn’t likely to be able to take Brian Gordon‘s spot in the Yankees rotation right away as he isn’t stretched out at all. His longest appearance this season was a three inning stint against the Red Sox last week. Besides that it’s been mostly one or two inning outings for Mitre. So he’ll likely take Hector Noesi‘s role away from him as Noesi is closer to being stretched out for a starting spot.

This entry was posted in Transactions and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Sergio Mitre Returns to the Yankees

1. Mike Sommer says:

The moves will be interesting. Colon is said to possibly start Saturday vs. the Mets. Gordon could be the move when that happens, then Hughes would be back soon after that. As to the move when that happens (Noesi or Nova), Buster Olney tweeted that Nova does have options. That call would be interesting. Nova to AAA to start (and that would be a tough demotion after he has gone 7-4, 4.26, very respectable) or Nova to the bullpen with Noesi (who, at 3.74 has also done decently) to AAA? Hey, you never can have enough pitching. But this (and whatever happens in July via the trade deadline) can be very interesting.

2. hardnose says:

I liked Mitre and thought he was beginning to make progress with the Yankees although he got roughed up this year…

Mike, any thoughts on having Garcia as the long man and keeping Nova in the rotation…

• Mike Sommer says:

I don't know what Rob or other commentators here would think, but in checking out Garcia's stats, he has only relieved twice in his whole career so you wouldn't want to put him in an unfamiliar role… that's my opinion.

3. Susan says:

Why in the hell would anyone even think about putting Garcia in the pen in favor of Sergio Mitre. A proven loser beyond belief, we finally dump him and now we TRADE to get him back? Garcia has been a pro's pro and has kept us in almost every game he's pitched. Mitre is garbage. I don't even see how we make room for Hughes when he comes back let alone Mitre. If they demote Nova it proves to me they just don't get it. I've been really happy and pleasantly surprised of how well we've played this season, except against Boston, but if we really did trade for this guy I'll be disgusted.

• Mike Sommer says:

I think the idea is for Mitre as the long man. I was liking Noesi there. Even the possibility of Nova. The upcoming moves will be interesting. As I replied on another posting, there soon will be CC, AJ, Nova, Colon, Hughes, Garcia, Mitre, Noesi, Robertson, Wade, Gordon, Ayala, Mo, Logan, and then Soriano may come back. That's 15 names. Gordon you can figure will go, but what other two to knock it to twelve? Then there is the possibility of a deal…

4. Mike Sommer says:

BTW, I see on the Lohud blog that Luis Vizcaino just tested + for a PED. 50 g. suspension. The Viz blew out an Achilles last winter in winter ball.

5. Susan says:

Yes, Sergio is back all right. 1ip 2hits, 1 walk, 2er, and a wild pitch. How predictable. Thank God for Bartolo.

6. David K. says:

I don't see why we picked him up, except as insurance because of all our pitching injuries. Why should Mitre take Hector Noesi's spot? Noesi is a much better pitcher. And why should Nova get sent down? The only game the Yankees have won against Boston this year was a Nova start. He didn't pitch well that game and didn't get the win but he's been better than Burnett.

• Susan says:

I agree David. There is absolutely no reason this slug should be on the roster. Noesi and every single other pitcher on the team and the AAA team is better than Mitre. He's a waste of a roster spot. Hopefully he'll be gone soon.

7. swedski says:

Does Mitre have pics of Cashman or Giardi? I do not get this move especially with a sixth starter. The questions I have is it better to send Nova down so he can keep pitching as a starter? I think he is the odd man out just because he has options and I don't think you can have him and Phil in the same rotation right now ( you do not know how Hughes is going to perform). Can they keep Phil down till after the break? I would go with CC AJ Colon Garcia and either Nova or Hughes. The real odd man out is AJ but a 90 mill he ain't going nowhere. Hopefully Hughes comes back healthy and smarter.

• Susan says:

My opinion is that Hughes is the odd man out until one of the current five does something to deserve a demotion. AJ is the weakest but all five give us a lot of innings, something that I doubt Hughes can do. Nova has really done well and does NOT deserve to be sent down. I know it'll never happen but a six man rotation wouldn't be half bad in this case and it would give some of the older guys like Colon and Garcia more rest between starts.