Trade Deadline Passes and the Yankees Make No Moves

So the trade deadline has come and gone, but the Yankees did not make any moves today or all month (ignoring Sergio Mitre).

Brian Cashman said the reason no deals went down is because the price on players has been so high this season and that he feels the Yankees have a championship caliber team anyway. It’s hard to disagree with him, the Yankees are currently 22 games above .500 and even their supposed biggest weakness coming into the season, the rotation, has been a strength.

Realistically the only spot that needed attention is the lefty reliever role, although Boone Logan has been better recently. The Yankees appeared to make a move today though that could set them up with a nice lefty reliever in September when they promoted lefty Manny Banuelos to Triple-A. If he does well there for a month the Yankees could call him up and use him out of the bullpen.

The next biggest weakness was probably a need for another bat. Again though, this wasn’t a huge weakness as the Yankees offense is second in all of baseball in terms of runs scored per game. Still, it would have been nice to get somebody to plug into the DH role to replace the struggling Jorge Posada. Jesus Montero has been doing better of late and can easily be called up at any time though. So if they really want to improve here they can just call him up.

The one move that would have been nice to have seen the Yankees make would have been to land Erik Bedard who is going to the Red Sox. However it’s hard to be upset by that as Boston gave up some decent prospects to get him and he’ll probably be injured by the end of August anyway.

I would have liked to have seen the Yankees improve themselves just like anybody else, but there is a clear silver lining and that is that the Yankees get to keep Banuelos, Dellin Betances, and Jesus Montero as well as other top prospects. These guys are very close to the major leagues and should be contributors next season. It’s going to be fun to watch them. It is weird to see them not make a deal in July for the first time since 1999.

What do you think? Is Cashman smart for holding on to his prospects? Or did he pass up an opportunity to make his team better? Tell me what you think…

This entry was posted in Yankees News. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Trade Deadline Passes and the Yankees Make No Moves

1. Susan says:

I believe he was smart to hang on these guys. I think we have some special young men that aren't too far away from being ready and I didn't want to trade them for rentals or old vets like we did in the 80s. Besides, it seems like whoever we discuss a trade with these days are trying to rape us of every single good prospect we have like the Rockies tried in the Jiminez deal. I'm glad Cash didn't fall for it. I would have liked to pick up another bat but as you said, Montero can always be called up and should be anyway.

2. Tanned Tom says:

I'm surprised at the lack of activity. I know they're getting Soriano back and all, but they need a left handed specialist ou the pen to pitch to Gonzalez and Ortiz in October. They didn't fill that need. Puzzling.
    As for another bat, nah they're fine without one.

• Susan says:

Banuelos could well be the lefty specialist come October. He's probably better than anything we could have traded for.

3. NYYTRUEBLUE says:

This is one of the few times I agree with Cashman. I'm happy he wasn't pressured into making a trade for the 'trash' that was available, at Rolls Royce prices. The kids he hung onto will soon be the core of the next dynasty. Good job Cash!

4. Matt C says:

I think the high end Yanks prospects were too high to make a deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the M's or Astros wanted Nova *and* Montero, or some combination involving the B's. I don't think any possible deal would have changed that I don't think this is the Yankees year.

• uncle al says:

I hope they weren't too high to play

• I don't see why so many people are counting the Yankees out this year. They have a very good team and are in 3rd place in all of baseball. I actually feel pretty good about their chances. Good rotation, good lineup, good bench, good bullpen. A lefty reliever is probably the only need and even that isn't a big deal.

• Matt C says:

I really like this team and enjoy watching them play. That said I just don't think they're built for the post season because of the starting pitching. AJ is AJ and Hughes shouldn't be in the rotation at this point. Cash deserves a ton of credit for Freddy and Colon, but they don't match up well in October against strong lineups. I'm not counting the Yankees out, of course, I just don't like what I see matching up in October.

5. Susan says:

Yahoo Sports is counting us as one of the big losers saying we have nothing behind CC Sabathia. This to me is ridiculous. As Rob said, our starting pitching has been a strength. Colon and Garcia are both extremely reliable and give us good innings and have low ERAS. Mitre has been just about as good and actually AJ has been decent as well, always giving us innings. Why does a team with the 3rd best record in the majors have to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade? Is Boston such a winner because they got Bedard? Wait til he has to pitch half his games in that pathetic excuse for a stadium in Boston and all the right handed hitters start banging balls off the monster all day. We'll see how good he is then. I'll say it again, good job Cash for not giving in to temptation.

6. Mike Sommer says:

There are lots of people who wonder if Bedard is tough enough for a place like Boston…. We know, being Yankees fans, that someone who can make it in a smaller market can't handle a New York…

• Susan says:

Browsing around the internet, it seems as though everyone has us as trade deadline losers. I think that we should revisit this in two years and when guys like Montero, Romine, Banuelos, Betances, Nova and others are leading us to more greatness, then we will be the real winners of this deadline for not giving them up.

• Matt C says:

I totally agree. Imagine if the Yankees stripped AAA in 95 for a deal and lost Pettitte, Jeter, Rivera, Posada . . . Even if all these kids don't pan out is was the right move, especially for the names floating around.

7. JOHN says:

Rob,love the Idea of Banuelos out of the pen. I git pounded on here for suggesting it a few months ago.
    Why not it didnt hurt David Price when he did it for the 08 Rays.
    Im happy they didnt give up the future just to make moves like Wandy or Bedard.
    Cashman was right there was no Cliff Lee deal this year

• I actually still don't like the idea. It's way too soon and his arm is just not physically ready for it. Banuelos is 20 years old now and he's the youngest pitcher in AAA. He's also never thrown more than 109 innings in his career and is already up to 95 for this season.

However, in reality teams are forced to do things that they would rather not do and this is one of those occasions. The Yankees have a very good team this year. As long as they don't get a run of injuries in the second half, I feel confident about their chances in the playoffs. There really aren't too many weaknesses, but one of them is a lefty reliever. Calling up Banuelos, while I would much rather he wasn't called up at all until September 2012, if they don't have an effective lefty reliever it is going to be so much harder to beat the Red Sox and Phillies as both have lefty heavy lineups. So while it is still not optimal, you have to do what you have to do sometimes.

As for David Price. Banuelos is 20 years old, the youngest in AAA. Price was 22 and had also been through college. Considering the Rays are much more effective when it comes to handling young talent, you can't really compare the two.