Trade Rumors: Yankees Interested In Cubs’ Grabow, Ramirez, and Soriano?

Via Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago:

The New York Yankees have three scouts watching the Washington Nationals and Chicago Cubs as they look for bullpen and hitting help. It appears the Yankees may have some interest in Cubs left-handed reliever John Grabow as well as hitters such as Aramis Ramirez and Alfonso Soriano.

When I first read this I thought it was just silly, however in the light of the recent news surrounding Alex Rodriguez‘s knee it does seem like the Yankees could be interested after all.

First of all there is Grabow, a 32-year-old lefty that has struggled this year putting up a 5.11 ERA over 37 innings. He has done a good job against lefties though holding them to a .196 average and a .596 OPS. If the Yankees could resist the urge to use him against righties than he could really help the team.

Then there is Ramirez and Soriano. I could see the Yankees interested in one of them, but not both. Soriano seems less than likely, but Levine said that the Cubs may be willing to eat a good amount of the $54 million he is owed after this year. So depending on how desperate the Cubs are to rid themselves of Soriano (meaning how much money they will actually each) could determine the Yankees interest.

Then there is Ramirez. He is in the final year of his contract (he has a $16 million team option for 2012) so he would only be a rental. With A-Rod out potentially for a month or more if he elects to have surgery Ramirez could be a great fit. He could give the Yankees an everyday third baseman, even when A-Rod returns using him as the DH might be a smart move considering the nature of his injury.

The Cubs are sitting in 5th place as of Saturday morning. Dealing a player who will be a free agent at the end of the year is no big deal to them. If the Yankees were willing to take Soriano off their hands they would probably jump at it too. Grabow could also be a big lift in the bullpen. Now the only issue is if they can work out a deal. That ultimately depends on how much the Cubs want for these guys.

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Trade Rumors: Yankees Interested In Cubs’ Grabow, Ramirez, and Soriano?

1. Susan says:

I'm all for getting these three guys. I've always wanted Soriano back since the day we traded him.

2. Soriano is the one that I see the least use for unfortunately. Posada has been very solid as the DH lately and A-Rod is probably going to need to DH as much as possible as well. That doesn't leave Soriano, a bad defensive outfielder, many at bats. Unless the Cubs eat 85 percent of his salary or more I can't see the Yankees being interested.

3. Stewartsmall says:

Ill tell you what, Stankees. Ill trade you both Sorry Oh No, and Grabow, pay 1/2 the $ they are owed, and take Montero back in the trade. hes likely better than both Sorry and Grab ouch put together.

4. MIKEY says:

IF THE CUBS WERE SMART THEY SHOULD TRADE THESE PLAYERS BUT I HOPE THEY GET SOMEBODY THAT WILL HELP THEM NEXT YEAR SINCE THIS YEAR THEY ARE NOT GOING NOWHERE. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM TRADE CARLOS ZAMBRANO AWAY TOO.HE HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR THE CUBS SO THEY SHOULD GET RID OF HIM TOO.

5. Susan says:

I'm liking the idea of getting Aramis Ramirez more and more and think we should try to do this.

6. hardnose says:

Ramirez would be a nice but possibly an expensive addition…hate these rentals if we have to give up real prospects…where would we put Soriano, who do you sit? i'm not as familiar with Grabow…

7. Mike Sommer says:

Ramirez would be costly, in terms of players and salary. The guy makes what, $16M? And it'd be for what, one month? Too costly.

8. John says:

Ramirez is a dog he doesnt hustle at all. Also the Cubs Idiot GM confirmed on 670 the score that IF he were to waive his no trade clause the option for 2012 would automatically vest. Anyone really want him next year at 16.5mil?NO
    Grabow forget the stats VS. lefties he is bad. just awful, throw out stats and watch him.
    As for Soriano he is the same no hustle dog we wanted out the door 8years ago. KEEP IT! all three are worthless to us.
    If we get anyone from the Cubs get Sean Marshall. he is more that a situational lefty.

• Can't just ignore stats unless you were in the Korean war. Grabow is extremely tough on lefites. He has held them to a .217 batting average. It's righties that he has problems with, a .305 average against. If your eyes can't see that then they should be checked.

• John says:

I dont get the Korean Warpoint. I was in Iraq though since you asked Korea was a little before my time Keep War out of sports its stupid first off and Milton Bradley had good sabermetric numbers how did that work out for the Cubs when they signed him? Stats can lie. Grabow would be an upgrade over BUM Logan but Ive watched him pitch this year have you? I live in Chicago and you can keep Ryan Dempster while your at it. Grabow is NOT worth giving up a breathing human being for TRUST ME.
        Id also like to know where you get off telling me to get my eyes checked? you want to start insulting people because they bring up different points than you?

9. Susan says:

Well, one thing I can say for sure, PRAISE THE LORD that "K Rod" aka the Worthless Punk is now off the table and in Milwaukee. The addition of that slime ball would have severely tested my 39 year allegiance to the Yankees.