Yankees Trade Rumors: Cashman Expects a Quiet Deadline

Via Dan Martin of the NY Post:

“I’m going to be hard-pressed to find anything better than getting Bartolo Colon and Phil Hughes off the disabled list,” the Yankees GM Brian Cashman said at a Hope Week charity event on Staten Island. “I can’t imagine I’m going to run into anything but you’ve still got to go through the motions…

“We’re prepared for chaos if it comes before Sunday’s deadline. But I like the team we have…

“I go into the marketplace with a team that’s a championship-caliber team as it sits,” Cashman said. “It’s hard to upgrade on that.”

There are certainly going to be people who are upset with these statements. Sure the Yankees roster can probably get better, but compared to the holes in the other rosters around the league, the Yankees problems aren’t glaring.

Everyone expects the Yankees to upgrade their rotation, but it’s a rotation ranked 5th in the league in terms of ERA. The rotation’s biggest problem, Phil Hughes, also has an internal replacement in Ivan Nova, who was demoted to the minors despite pitching very well.

The other big problem could be the DH spot where Jorge Posada has been struggling. But by keeping that spot open the Yankees give themselves decent flexibility to use Alex Rodriguez there more often and can slot Eric Chavez there occasionally as well.

The one spot where the Yankees can really use an upgrade is probably their left handed reliever. The problem with upgrading here is that teams aren’t just going to give these pitchers away and it is a relatively small need on a ball club. That means that it is a hard position to upgrade without overpaying.

The important thing to keep in mind with Cashman’s statements here is that he may be bluffing. Teams seem to be asking a ton from the Yankees in any deal. By issuing statements like these Cashman could be helping himself by lessening the perception that the Yankees are desperate and willing to pay any price.

I still expect the Yankees to make at least one move at the deadline, but more and more it seems like it won’t be a blockbuster that some fans are hoping for. Remember, when it comes to trading, sometimes the best ones are the ones that aren’t made.

This entry was posted in Quote and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Yankees Trade Rumors: Cashman Expects a Quiet Deadline

1. Frank Spero says:

for once i think the bald headed GM got it right

2. Henry says:

I agree with Cashman although I do not think this team can win it this year. To many injuries. Better to stand pat for the sake of the future. We will have to replace Martin in the off season so we need one of our young catchers. Montero is of course my pick.

• Martin is not a free agent at the end of the season, he is arbitration eligible. Also, why can't this team win it this year? They've been pretty dominant and have one of the best records in all of baseball. All of the teams in front of them have their flaws as well. Not saying they will win, but it shouldn't be dismissed.

• Susan says:

This Yankees team is good enough to win it all if Boston loses in the first round. I think we're pretty much as good as Boston but for whatever reason we can't beat them no matter where the game is played. I think they have us beat before they even take the field. Their in our heads. It's sickening to see, especially when we get our butts kicked royally in Yankee Stadium by the Sox time and time again. This is the reason I personally don't think we can win it all. But if a miracle happens and we dodge them in the playoffs, to quote Kevin Garnett, "anything is possible".

• John says:

we can take them in an ALCS no doubt Beckett cant pitch every game. They hevy no pitching. Stack us up 1-12 with them.
          include MY GUY Ivan Nova.

• I don't know why you would say this. I feel like you are way off base. Sure the Sox have kicked some Yankee butt this year, but they did the same thing in the first half of 2009 and that didn't stop the Yankees. Also, Boston has some serious problems with their pitching staff that if they don't address soon they may have a tough time during the playoffs. Also, generally speaking the Yankees kick Josh Beckett's ass so he doesn't scare me much as their no. 1.

3. ontopofit says:

Neither team right now has enough pitching to win anything. Great hitting is great during the season against weak pitching but the playoffs are a different animal. Enjoy the regular season because as it stands right now…they both lose in the playoffs.

4. Scott says:

The Yankees biggest (and only) problem is their lack of consistent hitting. They have a tendency to make the average pitcher look great, and the above-average pitcher look HOF-caliber. The only reason Boston has a better record is because they have 3 starters batting well over .300 and a few others close to it. Put that consistency in the Yankees line-up and we'd have a much better record than Boston. Unfortunately we're probably not going to find a .300 hitter available to pick up, and even if we did, he'd undoubtedly struggle coming to NY.

• I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say that the Yankees make average pitchers look great. I'm not sure what that means or if it is even true. Do you have any examples.

Also, batting average only tells a very small part of the larger picture. So Boston having more .300 hitters than the Yankees doesn't necessarily mean much. Although it is true that their offense is better this season.

• seasonedobserver says:

Have to agree with Scott on his point of hitting consistently. Like last year they are a bunch of free swinging pull hitters. Any pitcher who can change speeds fairly well or keep the ball away will have major success against this team. When and only when Clueless Joe and KLong start preaching "Go The Other Way" Will the Yankees reach their potential. Any coincidence that last nights 9th inning rally started with 2 opposite field doubles? Then come to an abrupt halt when Martin rolled over a 3-1 outside fastball and grounded weakly to short. Any coincidence why a first time starter always baffles these guys? Because he is scared and pitches away away away. Without knowing it he has stumbled onto the Achilles heel of this team. Go back and look at the films of the 9 game win streak. All of the game winning and rally sustaining hits were opposite field. Now its back to bad habits. This team has enough to win it all. Just not with a pull everything mentality. Hughes didn't pitch great but he only gave up 2 runs. Is it his fault that this vaunted lineup got him 1 and kept Seattle in it until they broke it open against the pen. AJ gave up 4 but his mates had 2 hits through 6 innings as the loseingest pitcher in baseball kept it down and away fostering 19 ground outs. The formula is there for everyone to see. HIT THE BALL WHERE ITS PITCHED

• It would take to long to argue you point by point so all I am going to say is that perception is not reality. I think you are throwing out generalities that sound smart, but have no basis in reality.

• seasonedobserver says:

Thats what you said last year when you poo-pooed my observations with a bevy of stats before the Texas series. Then after they were crushed relented. I believe your words were ,"You were right and I am sad". I know the ebbs and flows of baseball. That you don't get too high when streaking or too low when slumping. I also know that when under pressure you return to base instincts. And if thats to pull the ball no matter what. Then good contact is reduced to 1/3 of the plate. Or a 67% chance of failing.