A.J. Burnett Making Changes to Mechanics

Via George King of the NY Post:

A.J. Burnett tinkered with his delivery during yesterday’s bullpen session. In order to keep his arm straight coming forward, he experimented with keeping his hands at the mid-chest level and not swinging them backward.

“I want to see if it helps me,” said Burnett, who faces the Red Sox Thursday night in Boston. “Maybe it will give me more control.”

After the bullpen session, Burnett said, “It was good in the stretch; the windup is going to take work.”

It’s hard to read a lot into this considering that most of the time when teams talk about this kind of stuff with the media they are just trying to change the story. Also, with the way Burnett has been pitching lately it seems very hard to believe that there is one or two things that can be done to correct the ship.

Either way, it is good that they are at least trying something. Burnett has been a disaster for about two months now and only up until recently have his manager and general manager not supported him blindly. I just wonder if there is a possible adjustment to be made, he might just simply be a bad pitcher.

This entry was posted in Quote and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to A.J. Burnett Making Changes to Mechanics

1. Vinny bag of donuts says:

Why do the Yankees keep giving this guy another mulligan? He is TERRIBLE!!!! I know they owe him a lot of money but come on already, he can't win. He isn't just losing, he's getting bombed on. He is getting bombed on by teams with very poor offensives, what do you think Boston is gonna do to him? I'll be surprised if he lasts 2 innings and only gives up 10 runs. Send this clown to AAA. It's time Joe and Cash start telling AJ what to do and AJ start listening. AJ has been complaining about pitch selection, the mound, the pitching coaches, the catcher, and on and on.
    I think I can speak for quite a few Yankee fans when I say "YOU SUCK AJ AND WE ARE TRIED OF YOUR CRAP"

• The reason he keeps getting mulligans is that the Yankees need to get him right. They have a lot invested in him and aren't just going to give up on him. Meanwhile, the Yankees have a very comfortable lead in the wildcard and don't have to worry about making the playoffs. If they were actually in a race he would have been gone a while ago.

2. seasonedobserver says:

Curt Shilling hit it on the head. AJ just doesn't care about being good. It's not high on his priority list. He has the focus of a 5 year old @ toys r us. His team deserves more then a clown in the locker room. Mechanics smanics. He needs to visit the grinches doctor and grow some heart. Unfortunately you can't teach desire.

• Seriously. You've had some crazy comments, but this is the craziest. How the hell do you know what Burnett's priorities are? Stop wasting all of our time with such terrible comments.

• seasonedobserver says:

Sorry to insult your sensibliities. Lets take a look at AJs comments from last night. "it all came down to focus", (Was I crazy to notice that he was unfocused to the point of detriment)?, " and conviction", ( was I crazy to say his priority wasn't always on pitching)? I understand that conviction to the pitch called is the most adopted interpretation of this but I see it a bit different. By his own statements he validated my comments. . Maybe I am outlandish in my descriptions but I'm most always on point. I stand by all my comments here. An aside. While driving yesterday on the WFAN Mark Malusus, excuse the spelling, went on about Tex and his non situational hitting. Paraphrasing, "He has home runs and RBIs but he hasn't been there in important spots. If he doesn't start being clutch and has another down post season then you'll hear Yankee fans start holding him accountable like they did ARod". What Crazy person wrote this last week here? You hit me hard here and I don't want to be adversarial but I do know what I'm seeing and read it astutely. I will not post again if my decorum does not fit what your impression of this forum should be. Thanks for BBD. I will still read it and gather insights on behind the scenes activity that are not in mainstream media. Best of luck and keep us in the know.
        Regards,
        Frank

• AJ most certainly does care about being good. His focus is better because his mechanics are better and easier to handle. There was never a time when he was going out there not trying or not caring to be good.

A big part of baseball is mental, but don't buy into some half assed narrative like AJ doesn't care.

3. Mike Sommer says:

It's one thing to say "send him to AAA." Do you realize the option system? That a player could be out of options (especially a seasoned veteran)? You can't just send a seasoned veteran to AAA like you can a rookie. I'd like A.J. gone, too. I realize the current situation as well. The Yanks have ONE off day between that double rain-out of 8/27 and the end of the season on 9/28. One. Granted I'd love to supplant A.J. with a minor league pitcher for a September start (Warren, Mitchell, a killer B), but in either case, be it A.J. or a rookie, you are taking a chance in what you'd be putting on the mound. Right now, Girardi has to watch the veterans (especially the aged Colon and Garcia) down the stretch, especially with no off days. If this means having to stick with six starters for this time period, well, you have to do what you hope will be best come October.

• Vinny bag of donuts says:

Yes, I understand the "option system" But there are a hundred ways around it. For instance, AJ goes on the DL for whatever "injury" you want. He gets sent to Tampa to work out his problems. The Yanks can then call up someone, maybe a killer B. The Yanks can at least see what one of their AAA pitching prospects can do at the major league level. Maybe they strike gold and who ever they call up throws great and becomes a big factor down the stretch and playoffs. Can you say David Price? He had a huge impact in '08 for the Rays.
      To Rob-comfortable lead in the wildcard? Is that what we are shooting for? The wildcard? I want 1st place and home field advantage not the wildcard. So do the Yankees. It's more money and a much greater chance of winning. Just look at the last few years of playoff baseball. The home teams wins a lot more often then the visitor. And please, please everyone stop telling me about all the money the Yanks owe AJ. Let's just think about this for a second….Pavano, Irabu, Johnson, Clemens (his last stint with the Yanks), Rogers, Kei Igawa. It happens all the time. Just look at last night's game. John Lackey is the same kinda bust with similar money for the Red Sux. Yes, I spelled it right.

4. shavager says:

Send him to AAA, let him refine pitch location and mechanics there instead of jeopardizing Yankees chances to win division title or potential WSeries appearance with poor performances like he's continued to have. Can't throw away money invested, it's still possible for AJ to improve his mechanics and return to form if he's dedicated to the game. Otherwise, maybe Yanks need to delegate him to bullpen, leave him off the roster once playoffs start.

5. AJ Burnett cannot and will not be sent down to the minor leagues. Let's keep this conversation intelligent.

• David K. says:

"he might just simply be a bad pitcher", hey man, that's what I've been saying this whole year! Even if he turns in around somehow for a few starts, Cashman needs to work a waiver trade. I don't care if we have to eat 99 percent of his salary. We'll be a better team without this guy. I have more faith in Nova or even Phil Hughes than Burnett. We can't afford to start Burnett in the postseason. There's just too much of a disaster risk. If he's not gonna start in the playoffs, he's totally useless to us. And here's the biggest reason why he needs to go: almost three years now, and still does not have a SINGLE WIN AGAINST BOSTON.

6. hardnose says:

AJ can fiddle with his mechanics all he likes but what needs fixing is a little further north. He's a head case imo and needs to find a higher power or a good shrink.

7. Harcore Yankee Fan says:

He looked pretty good tonight and got the job done as far as I'm concerned. Against Boston no less.