Rumor: CJ Wilson Interested in Pitching in New York

Via Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated:

Some folks think cj wilson has keen interest as free agent in new york. Yankees probably early favorite to sign him.

This is probably the start of hearing about C.J. Wilson a whole bunch this offseason. Wilson, a 30-year-old lefty is probably the best free agent pitcher on the market this offseason as he is coming off a season in which he put up a 2.94 ERA and a 3.79 xFIP.

It’s almost impossible to gauge the veracity of this report, but I’ve never heard Wilson express a desire to play in New York. He was also very outspoken last offseason in trying to talk Cliff Lee into staying in Texas.

This will be the first time the lefty is entering the free agent market. He earned $7.05 million in 2011 and $3.1 million in 2010. It’s hard to speculate on how much he would earn in the open market, but A.J. Burnett’s five-year $82 million deal doesn’t seem completely out of the realm of possibility here, although unlikely.

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Rumor: CJ Wilson Interested in Pitching in New York

1. Tanned Tom says:

I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd like to see the NYY sign Wilson and play hardball with Sabathia – no more money and no more years. If $92 for the next 4 years is too little, let's see some other club beat it. Signing a fat player past age 35 is crazy.
    Also, I'm off Nick Swisher, his career post season numbers suck. They're gonna let Posada leave and he had a great series and respectable post season career numbers.

• You are not alone, If CC is happy with his current contract I'm happy having him here, but if he opts out please please please don'r give him any extra dollar.
      Not only he is fat but also he isn't good during postseasons, ERA-4.81 WHIP-1.62 and that's with the help of a terrific 2009 but the rest is horrible.
      Let's play hardball with him, we can bring Oswalt, Wilson or Buehrle and the most important If we are patient Betances, Banuelos and Phelps could be helping the team

• David K. says:

Yes that's exactly how I feel about it. But not Oswalt, I think he's over the hill and would get killed in the A.L.

2. Mike Sommer says:

A 1-2-3 of CC/Nova/Wilson would be nice. Use Garcia/Aj, Hughes/AJ or whatever. In any regard, you then don't have to force feed Warren, Bentances, Banuelos… let them develop at their own pace.

3. Cyril Morley says:

If C C Sabathia opt out, let him walk and dont give him any extra dollar. Sign CJ Wilson, Yu Duisha and Scott Kazmir. Also look into pitchers like Francisco Liriano, Michael Montgomery, Brain Matusz, Gio Gonzalez to go along with your young pitcher. Please trade Aj Burnett, can we,s do anything Alex Rodriguez. Signing of Alex Rodriguez, C C Sabathia, A J Burnett and few other didnt look good after signing a long turn deal , they are over paid players.Sign players under 32 yrs, player to a four years deal only.

4. DSRG says:

Don’t trust anything Heyman says. He’s just a mouthpiece for Scott Boras. By naming the Yankees as an interested party, Boras is attempting to drive up the price for the Rangers to keep Wilson.

5. TONYMO says:

Let CC walk. Don't make the same mistake you made with A Rod, The last couple of years A Rod
    has earned a permenant slot on the D.L. list, and he still has 6 years left on his contract. Who
    needs A Rod as a des. hitter for another 6 years? Learn from your mistakes, otherwise CC will be hanging out in the bullpen for the rest of his cont. plus whatever amount of years you extend
    him. If he wants to opt out, let him. No one else is going to make the mistake the Yankees will probably make. Invest the money on young established pitchers and new prospects.

• Henry says:

I think signing CJ Wilson at 30 years of age would be a good move. Correct on Arod if he is already in decline. I like him but these kinds of contracts just don't work out. He blocks us from improving the club.

6. Henry says:

I am a big supporting of signing a free agent and with the ERA Wilson has he would fit in with the yankees very well. He is a least a very good number 3 and would be a big help in the postseason.

7. Brian says:

I love Swisher's enthusiasm and effort, but it's time to go. Give Montero an outfielder's glove and tell him his new position is right field. It's time to get younger. Wilson would be a good pickup. He would be good insurance in case CC walks, even though Wilson's not a #1, but knows how to pitch in the postseason. Entertain all offers for A-Rod and AJ. They would be a tough sell, but Cashman needs to move at least one of them this offseason.

• Ronnie says:

No one's taking Arod or AJ. And I know this is a tired routine, but AJ wasn't half bad towards the end there.

If anyone gets moved its Teixeira. He still has value, and Montero could probably play first. A GM might see the 37 homers and be fooled into thinking Tex is the player he was back in the day.

• David K. says:

If the Yankees were smart, they would try to move Teixeira. But doesn't he have a no trade clause? I've heard he doesn't want to go anywhere.

8. So happy reading that most people doesn't want CC back if he opts out, hopefully Cashman thinks the same and the Steinbrenner wouldn't get involved

9. Bronx_Knight says:

OOK, I guess I'll stick up for CC here. CC has averaged 226 innings pitched per year over his career. He's a workhorse and was the second-best pitcher in the AL this year. Who are you going to get to replace that production? CJ Wilson? I think not — he's only been a starter for two years; before that he was a garden-variety reliever.

There are fat slobs and there are fat slobs — David Boomer Wells, for instance, was the biggest slob in baseball, partied and had no physical conditioning, but he had a rubber arm and pitched effectively into his 40's. CC's pretty big and fat but it hasn't hurt his effectiveness or his productivity. He had knee surgery last year and came back to throw 237 innings with an ERA of 3.00 flat. The guy is 30 years old, and he's been a good Yankee. I would love to have him back.

(Also in the old, fat, and surprisingly effective category: Bartolo Colon)

• David K. says:

I'd love to keep him too but not if he opts out. I don't know if his agent will advise him to opt out, but it would be a mistake. Yankees should stand firm on this one: no more money. He makes great money. How much more would opting out get him, another two or thee mill per year in the best case scenario? Seems like a huge risk to take on his end.

• Jayjay says:

Same with you, David… I don't mind keeping CC, but let him go if he opt out. 97% of the comments here have mutual feeling about CC being allowed to walk if he decides to opt out and it's not because of that percentage that I'm jumping the bandwaggon; he simply has done enough to earn his one title. It's time to part ways with him if he wants to split. Admit it fellas, we are all stuck with Tex. He has a no trade clause. But we can do a whole lot with the other 2 stooges which are ARod and Swisher. I seriously doubt Yanks gonna let ARod go, but Swisher must go. As I've mentioned before, he held the record in hitting into double play and sadly enough never got back any higher than 2.56 BA. Hell, I would keep Jorge before I keep Swisher. I agree with those who wants Wilson. He would be a good prospect. Not to hate on the Bronx Knight cause I have mad love for those who support the Bombers, but CC gotta go if he opt out.

• Jayjay says:

OMG, you are so right about that Bronx….I haven't got the slightest idea why Bartolo ever got to ride with the Bombers. This guys has never help a record decent enough to lift or even help a team. How did we ever end up with this dude? I'm still confused!! There are so many younger excelling pitchers out there to even bother settling for Bartolo. How did we get so desperate into signing him. I really hope they let him go.