Rumors: Mark Buehrle Open to Pitching for the Yankees

Mark Buehrle has had a long career and at the age of 32 is just hitting the free agent market for the first time in his career. In the past he has made it clear that his preference would be to pitch in Chicago or his hometown St. Louis.

I think that his outspoken stance about pitching for only those two cities has taken away quite a bit of the buzz surrounding the consistent veteran. However, his agent spoke with Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News to let everyone know that he’s open to pitching in the Bronx.

“Last time I looked, Chicago is a pretty big city,” Buehrle’s agent Jeff Berry said. “I think that stuff gets overplayed quite a bit. It’s not like he’s been pitching for a small-market team in a small-market city. The biggest thing, for the Yankees or any other team, is to go to a place where he’ll have an opportunity to win.”

This very well could just be an effort by Buehrle’s agent to drum up interest in his client. Or it very well could be a legitimate claim. He’s not necessarily saying that Buehrle wants to be a Yankee, he could simply be pointing out a misconception about him. If winning is really what’s most important to him then the interest could very well be real.

Buehrle is not exactly an ace-type pitcher, but he has been remarkably consistent throughout his entire career. He has an 11-year streak of pitching at least 200 innings with at least 10 wins each year. Only once has he ever gotten Cy Young votes, but he’s never really had a bad season in his career all while pitching in a hitter-friendly park.

As long as he isn’t looking for an obscene contract in either years or dollars, there could be a fit there with the Yankees.

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Rumors: Mark Buehrle Open to Pitching for the Yankees

1. Tanned Tom says:

I like Buehrle, never gets injured, tons of quality starts, reasonably low ERA. He would be the #2 starter for NY. A first 4 of:
    Sabathia
    Buehrle
    Nova
    Garcia
    would allow them to either trade Burnett (please!, if the Braves can trade Lowe…) or move Hughes back to the pen and trade Soriano. This would improve the team by addition and by subtraction, by getting at least one of the duds out of the rotation.

2. Bronx_Knight says:

Tom, I agree with you on Buehrle and on trading Burnett, but you only list four starters above, including Buehrle. Wouldn't Hughes be our fourth or fifth starter?

Also, while I am willing to trade Burnett, almost regardless of cost, I wouldn't say the same of Soriano. I'm not crazy about his attitude, but he has a very rich deal for a reliever and I'm not sure he would be so easy to trade.

• Joe P says:

BK & Tom, love Buehrle and Burnett trade. Agree Hughes is a starter untill he shows otherwise. Must show that he is past whatever problems he had last year and develop/rely on his secondary pitches more. I don't know that the Yanks can trade Soriano if he takes his option, but I'd keep him anyway. If Mo retires afer 2012, it will be nice to have Soriano and Robertson at the back end. Anyone heard any news lately on Joba's rehab?

• Susan says:

I'd have to say that Hughes has shown time and time again that he's not a starter.

• If Hughes isn't a starter and neither is Chamberlain. My question is why did we give away Ian Kennedy instead of these guys. OMG

• And yes, Buehrle is my favorite over Wilson, Oswalt, Darvish, etc…

I can point a lot of things why, for example:

He is lefty and It would be better to have 2 lefties in the rotation
            Already In the AL so there aren't problems like foreign pitchers or coming from the NL
            And my favorite:
            He is a postseason proven pitcher, a lot of players can't handle playoffs.

• Susan says:

Ian Kennedy wasn't all that great with the Yankees (big shock) but obviously is doing quite well now. Hughes and Chamberlain have always been overvalued. But yeah, if they pitched elsewhere they'd probably be studs like Kennedy. Let's hope some of these young pitchers we have coming up in the next year or two can actually live up to some of the hype.

3. Susan says:

Make it happen! I've always wanted Buehrle. He'd be a great two or three for us.

• Joe P says:

IMO, Buehrle, not CJ Wilson, is the best available free agent pitcher. Buehrle is a lefty Mike Mussina, and that ain't bad at all. This guy wins 18-20 a year with the Yankees. His ERA is below 4.00 every year of his carreer except one … his first or second year. I would pay big bucks to have Buehrle…at least what they gave Burnett, maybe more!