Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner was at the GM meetings in Milwaukee on Wendesday and stopped to talk to reporters. Here is what he said via Chad Jennings of the Journal News:
- He said wouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees did or didn’t sign a big name free agent this offseason, adding that it was too early to tell.
- They will look to upgrade the rotation and add another lefty reliever this offseason, noting that the offense was mostly set.
- Kei Igawa will not scare the Yankees away from putting a bid in on Yu Darvish.
- Hal wouldn’t pin down a number for the Yankees budget. He simply said that there are areas they would like to improve and they are looking into every possibility.
- They expect Alex Rodriguez to be back to his old self and are just happy to have CC Sabathia back, not that he went anywhere.
Not a whole lot of news from Hal who, unlike his father, can be quite bland. Have to say, I like bland much better.