Cashman: No Trades on Deck but Things Could Happen Quickly

Not much has happened yet for the Yankees this offseason, but that could change quickly as GM Brian Cashman has headed down to Dallas for the Winter Meetings. So far asking prices for both free agents and players on the trade block have been too high, but Cashman has been busy talking with everybody nonetheless and he told George King and Dan Martin of the NY Post that a deal could be on in as little as one phone call.

Here is what Cashman said:

“We’ll try to concentrate on pitching,” Cashman said. “We’ll see. I was on the phone all weekend, just like you are all the time. I’ve made some offers and received some ideas. Nothing that’s gotten any traction, unfortunately.

“I’ve tried to make some things happen and obviously haven’t found any common ground. (Red Sox) have a great team, we have a great team. Tampa has a great team. At the end of the day, we’re all chasing (AL champion) Texas.”

“I’m a pessimistic person by nature so I’m not optimistic. That doesn’t mean nothing will happen. I’ll get on a flight and our staff will work at it,’’ Cashman said. “We’ve got a good team. It’s hard to make it better. I don’t know if we will or not.’’

“There’s a lot of guys people want,” said Cashman, who is reluctant to trade his young pitchers. “I think they’re over-reaching.

“Right now I don’t feel close to anything. But I’ve had enough conversations where that could change with one conversation.”

The Yankees are willing to deal prospects this offseason, but would only include Jesus Montero, Manny Banuelos, and Dellin Betances in a deal for an especially elite player. Their push to get under payroll under $189 million by 2014 means that they will be especially reluctant to overpay for anybody.

Everybody expects that their top trade targets would include John Danks, Gio Gonzalez, or Matt Garza. I ran through the top starting pitchers on the trading block earlier this offseason.

This entry was posted in Quote. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Cashman: No Trades on Deck but Things Could Happen Quickly

1. Cyril Morley says:

John Dands and Matt Garza dont worth the price tags, please let move on.
    If the yankees draft MLB ready within two years, we woulding be in this state now. The organization need to improve them self in the draft, scout failed to land a marquee talent in two or three years. Look at draft pick from T.B.Ray, B.R.Sox, W.Nationals and A.Diamondbacks. These club have young players in the major at age 21 and 22 year old

• pootamis says:

sorry but Red Sox have Ellsbury and Pedroia who are good everyone else they have is medocire a best. The Yankees farm system is already great they will be fine if they deal for a pitcher

2. Shavager says:

I'd package Hughes, Nunez and Cervelli for a big time starter, give Burnett one last shot to be a 3rd starter behind Sabathia and Nova. Nunez is too erratic at SS to take Jeter's place, time to invest in a quality SS in draft or minors. Too bad Yanks can't land Ortiz from Bosox for DH, Montero can platoon at C and OF for Ortiz's bat. It's time Yankees start getting production from one or two triple A pitchers that came up when roster expanded near season's end. It's time to PRODUCE and major league level.

3. Gonzalo says:

Why do you think that Cashman has not made any move, Nobody is going to give you a big time starter for Hughes, Nuñez and Cervelli, that's why Morley is correctly saying Danks and Garza's price are very high.
    Morley you are crazy about our prospects, Yankees farm system is better than Red Sox farm, what about Montero, Banuelos, Betances, Romine, Mason, Phelps, Gary or Heathcott, and If you are talking about the Draft remember that Yankees pick is 30+, we have a good team that's why we have not had the top 10 picks.
    I hope Cashman can improve our rotation because It really looks bad for next year and there are a few good free agents like Kuroda, Oswalt, Mike Gonzalez, Sherrill, Darvish and Cespedes , but not making crazy things (not 120 for CJ or Banuelos and Montero for Danks) we could build our future; Noesi, Phelps, Mitchell or Warren could help the team.

4. Tanned Tom says:

The writing is in the wall, they'll do what they did last year, try to buy time until the kids are ready. If they can't improve via a trade I really feel they should trade Burnett and roll the dice with Noesi as the 5th starter.