Read: the Yankees 2012 plans for Jesus Montero

This is from last week, but with the Winter Meetings it got overlooked. Anyway, Erik Boland of Newsday spoke with Yankees manager Joe Girardi last Wednesday and got some tentative plans out of the manager for rookie Jesus Montero.

Here are the bullet points:

• Montero will not be guaranteed a roster spot, but the Yankees are planning for him to be a part of the everyday lineup.
  • He won’t be the full-time DH as they expect to cycle veterans like Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter into that spot too.
  • They could carry three catchers including Russell Martin, Francisco Cervelli, and Montero.
  • They still consider him a catcher and will get behind the plate a lot in spring training and then will find spots to use him during the year.
  • Girardi told ESPN NY that Montero may also play some first base.
  • Cashman ruled out the outfield for Montero.

My guess is that Montero plays about 30-40 games behind home plate, 90-100 games as the DH, and no more than 10 at first base. That is of course unless there is an injury or trade.

This entry was posted in Links and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Read: the Yankees 2012 plans for Jesus Montero

1. Tanned Tom says:

All sounds rational. Why is it they know how to handle young position players, but invariably screw up their pitchers? Lost in all the mismanagement by Cashman recently (NIck Johnson, Javier Vazquez, et al) is the demoting of Nova last year. Could have demoralized many players. Were they right about him? Nope, he wound up being their number 2 starter. Way to judge talent Cashman. Who took Nova's spot in the rotation? Yup, Phil Hughes who went 1-2 with a 5.49 ERA while Nova was in AAA. Cashman pulls this kind of crap again I think he should be fired. If he brings back Sergio Mitre, well I don't even want to go there…

2. Bernard Sandow says:

Jesus Montero looks like a junior Miguel Cabrera. It would be a major mistake to get rid of him. In addition the Yankees have a host of catching teachers to bring Montero along. If my memory serves me, the Yankees haven't had a hitting prospect like Montero in a long time. Yes, we know what Cano became but even he was not the hitter Montero is at the same age.

• David K. says:

We haven't had a hitting prospect like Jesus in forty years or more. With a talent like this, it is well worth it to take our chances and see just how good he can get. I think he projects to be something like Edgar Martinez. I would be happy if he had a career like that for the Yankees. He is definitely an untouchable in my book.

3. ATLNYYfan says:

I agree with David K that he's a keeper! But, "in 40 years or more" is a bit of a stretch Dude. Don't forget about one of the most beloved Yankees….#51! : )

• David K. says:

Bernie was a great Yankee, and I'm one of his biggest fans (I think he belongs in the HOF). But even I have to admit that Bernie was not a great "pure" hitter. His legacy is more of a great clutch hitter and playoff great. Bernie and Jeter were the Yankees Batman and Robin for five or six years. I think Jesus projects to be a great pure hitter, even better than Robbie Cano. That's what I meant. Other than Mattingly, who had only a about a five year stretch of greatness, and Cano and Bernie, we really haven't produced any number three or four hitters who were triple crown threats.

4. ATLNYYfan says:

Cashman saying that Montero isn't guaranteed a roster spot is just to make sure the rookie keeps working hard to get better. He was arguably the best hitter on the team down the stretch last year….and I'm sure it would surpise nobody if he posted a .290 25 85 type of line in his first full season in pinstripes.

5. John says:

They should try him in the outfield. If they really don't like him behind the plate, he could transition to the outfield and maybe replace Swisher next year.

6. John says:

Im a follower of Jesus. I think if Rob is right he gets about 130-150 games played. That should be enough for him to hit his way into a regular spot. It sucks that he may be a 22year old dh. Permanent DH is for guys too old or injured to play D like Jim Thome. But even in a small sample he hit great, especially under the pressure of a race.

7. Joe says:

I'm still gonna stick with my original hypothesis regarding this matter and say that there is no way Montero doesn't get some reps in LF…..I think Cashman is just playing a little reverse psychology and we all know this would not be the first time his statements regarding similar matters were proven false. Think about it, the only way Montero's bat isn't sitting on the bench at least 2-3 games a week is if he gets a few starts in left.

Do we really believe the Yankees will just let this kid just sit idle and get 250-350 AB's when they can get 500-600 out of him? If he starts 2012 like he ended 2011 you can bet your bottom dollar he will be in that lineup everyday. Don't be surprised if he becomes one of our top three bats along with Cano and Grandy THIS YEAR. (sorry Tex and Al)

8. John says:

Hope you are right joe

9. Shavager says:

I'm not expecting big things from Montero, either behind the plate or DH once the league gets to look him over at bat, he didn't do much after first ten games or so. Don't think he's the long range catcher either, too big to last many years behind the plate, wear on his knees will limit his time there. His bat production will be his biggest contribution, how he handles pitchers once he gets at bats and they see his tendencies.

• Mike Sommer says:

"he didn't do much after first ten games or so"? He played in 18 games. In the last eight games, he was 10 for 26. 3 doubles, 1 HR, 6 RBI. That doesn't include his 2 for 2 in Game 4 of the ALDS.