Rumor: Yankees pursuing Hiroki Kuroda

At last year’s trade deadline the Yankees tried to make a deal for Dodgers pitcher Hiroki Kuroda only to be told that he wouldn’t waive his no trade clause to leave Los Angeles. This time around he is not only willing to leave LA, but the NL as well and has both the Yankees and the Red Sox pursuing him, according to Jon Paul Morosi of Fox Sports.

The Yankees not only tried to trade for him in July, but also tried to sign him last offseason. They still like him a year later, but don’t like his asking price of $12-$13 million. So if they are still pursuing him, this could mean that his price tag is dropping a bit or maybe they haven’t completely forgotten that they are the Yankees.

Or this could just be his agent spreading rumors to keep other teams from making low-ball offers thinking that the Yankees aren’t involved. Either way, the last thing we heard about Kuroda was that he was close to signing with a mystery team that isn’t the Yankees. So if he’s still out on the market generating rumors there is still a chance. We’ll continue to follow him.

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Rumor: Yankees pursuing Hiroki Kuroda

1. Marc Perez says:

Finally, the guy they should have been looking into all along.

2. Joe says:

Spare me. Why do we always go after National League pitchers??

3. John says:

What do you mean Joe? Wasnt the last two Javy Vazquez tours enough for you. NL pitchers only have a higher era and look like garbage in the AL. There is nothing wrong with NL pitchers except the AL rips them up

• Susan says:

And hey, we really need another old guy on the team too. I've said all along since the trade deadline last year that I don't want this guy on the Yankees and I stand by it. I think he'd be a disaster.

4. Marc Perez says:

This guy is different. He's been very effective for the last four years and his contract would be for only one year. I'd bet that if they did sign him, he'd put up better stats than both AJ and Freddy and would be a good spot holder until the young guys are ready.

5. Bronx_Knight says:

I'm with Marc on this one. Kuroda has put in four straight years of sub-4 ERA, including 200 innings last year at 3.07. This should translate to around a 4 ERA in the AL East. Kuroda would fit in at number 3 in the roster and be good for at least 15 wins.
    We really, really need another solid starter. Given the Yankees' self-imposed salary restraints, and the plethora of free agent starters coming up in 2013, Kuroda would be a great one-year fit.

6. John says:

Sub 4era in the bum filled NL west and pitcher friendly dodger stadium. his era would be 4.50 in the AL East. Trust me we will all be on here killing Hiroki Vazquez/ Javy Kuroda.

• Mike Sommer says:

4.50 (and personally, I think it would be more in the range of 3.90, given his 3.45 career ERA) would still be over half a run better than what Vazquez gave in 2010 or what A.J. has given in 2010 and 2011.

• Mike Sommer says:

I should add this: If the soon-to-be 37 year old Kuroda would come to the Yankees and, say, puts up a 14-8, 4.16 mark, giving about 195 IP? That would be the same mark that Andy Pettitte put up when he turned 37 in the summer of 2009, when the Yankees won the World Series. So what'd be wrong with that?

• David K. says:

You think this guy is as good as Andy Pettitte? Remember, Javy Vasquez put up great numbers in the NL and was a total bust both times around for the Yankees. Kuroda pitches in the offensively challenged NL West.

• Mike Sommer says:

You obviously misinterpret. Is he as good at 37 as a 37 year old Pettitte? Perhaps. Meaning would he put up a 14-8, 4.16 as Pettitte did at age 37? Perhaps.

7. John says:

I doubt he could carry Andy’s jock strap. This guy will suck in the AL east.

• Mike Sommer says:

Maybe. Maybe not. I don't think he's coming anyway. But going by the stats, there is no big difference between Dodger Stadium and the road. 3.43 Dodger Stadium, 3.48 road. Career 3.45 ERA not helped by pitching against NL West teams. Against SF: 3.65; AZ 4.03; CO: 5.52 and SD 3.67—all HIGHER ERAs than his career average. Just saying. The stats belie the myths. Careerwise, no Andy. The question is, can the guy (career ERA 3.45) give a 14-8, 4.16 or thereabouts in the AL East? Also, his ERA is lower against teams .500+ (3.28) than under .500 (3.61). So his actual stats give the lie to a lot of myths. I don't know how he'd do crossing over, but it's not a slam-dunk that he would flat out fail. He's actually pitched under a lot of bad luck and has deserved far better records with his good ERA than his W-L record has showed. Still in all, I don't think he's coming to NY. But if he did, 14-8, 4.16 isn't out of the question and may actually be selling him short. The thing is, in his return to the Yanks, Pettitte in those years (2007-2010) averaged 14-8, 4.08, 30 starts. Could Kuroda, in one season, do that? Heck, you can say that Freddie Garcia (12-8, 3.62, 25 starts) just about did that last year. I'll gladly take 14-8, 4.16 from Kuroda, and as I stated, that could be selling the guy short…

• David K. says:

I intensely dislike guys who pitch "under a lot of bad luck". I'd say most of the time that kind of bad luck follows a guy around no matter where he pitches. 14-8? You're dreaming. In the best case scenario, I'd say he goes 12-11. It's true that no one really knows what he'll do in the AL east, but I'd much rather pass on this guy, for all of the reasons that have been kicked around here.

• Marc Perez says:

12-11?? That's pretty much the same as the records he's been putting up with only Matt Kemp and Andre Either hitting behind him.

• Mike Sommer says:

Precisely. And yes, I'd say pitching for a team that scored 223 less runs than the Yankees is pitching under a lot of bad luck, meaning precious little run support.

8. John says:

Kuroda is old and bad. Stats be damned. Make any stat you want this guy will get hamnered in the AL. I dont want to see this bum for 12 mil.