Quote: Burnett expects to be in the Yankees rotation

With the two moves the Yankees made yesterday they now have seven starters to fill five spots in the rotation. Who is the odd man out? Most Yankees fans had hoped that it would be A.J. Burnett, however his agent spoke with Kristie Ackert of the NY Daily News who said that he fully expects to be apart of next year’s rotation.

“I haven’t spoken to A.J. since (Friday) night, but it’s safe to say everyone assumed the Yankees would make moves to improve their rotation,” Burnett’s agent Darek Braunecker told the Daily News. “How and if it affects AJ is yet to be seen. I know he has worked as hard this offseason as any, even more so, to make sure he’s healthy and capable to pitch as well as he can.

“He fully expects to be in the rotation.”

I hate to say it, but unless the Yankees can find somebody to take his contract off their hands, I fully expect him to be in the rotation too. The reason is because they still owe him $33 million over the next two years so unless they are willing to eat the entire $33 million (unlikely) than the best thing for him and the organization is for him to make a start every fifth day in the hopes that he rights himself.

Now this doesn’t mean that he will finish the season in the rotation. It may not even mean he is in the rotation come June, but they will certainly try to get him right even if they plan on keeping a short leash on him.

Sorry, the Yankees might have made significant upgrades to their rotation Friday, but that doesn’t mean that A.J. Burnett is done as a Yankee yet.

This entry was posted in Quote and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Quote: Burnett expects to be in the Yankees rotation

1. john says:

Like I,said unless its a bad contract swap like to the cubs for Soriano or something. Aint happenin.
    Were stuck with him

2. Tanned Tom says:

How about eating $25 mil and shipping him to Pittsburgh?

3. Bronx_Knight says:

It's impossible to just assume that AJ automatically starts. We didn't trade our best prospect to have Pineda sit on the bench or pitch in AAA, so he has to start. We didn't resign Garcia to have him pitch in AAA, either. So we have six men for five slots, seven if you count Phil Hughes.
    Hughes has been effective out of the bullpen (and he's a little fragile), so I think the likeliest outcome is to send Hughes to the pen, and have Garcia and AJ fight in camp for the fifth spot. Problem is what to do with the loser of that competition. Garcia has made it known that he does not want to do anything but start; presumably he would sulk and not perform well if he were relegated to the bullpen. AJ is psychologically fragile, so who knows what would happen if he were demoted to the pen.
    But one of them will have to go … I think it will be AJ, $33 million or not. We ate Igawa's $46 million, we can eat AJ's $33 million if we have to …

4. NYYJJinATL says:

Eat half and trade him!

Garcia is the better pitcher….and by a large margin.

5. Bronx_Knight says:

I think you're right that Garcia is the better pitcher. I too am hoping for a rotation consisting of CC-Kuroda-Nova-Pineda-Garcia. I guess we'll see what happens.

6. alcan says:

garcia becomes the long man as noesi was last season. hughes goes to the pen as well… AJ more than likely will be the 5th starter

• Joe says:

I agree with alcan. Look for the Yanks to go after a hitter for some DH ABs. soriano for burnett would be interesting. Any thoughts on Damon as he appears out of a job in Tampa.he had good numbers last year. Rather have him than Pena.

7. hotdog says:

There's no guarantee that Pineda will start. The Yankees need to consider his long term potential and it would not be surprising if he started the season in AAA. The Yankees are conservative with their young arms.

• Marc Perez says:

You're just flat out wrong. If you said there's no guarantee that he'd be the number 2 or number 3, then maybe you'd be right.

8. hotdog says:

I'd like the 2009 Johnny Damon version but he'll be 39 later this year. He hit well last year but his obp dropped. Maybe that changes in NY. He is a clutch hitter imo and we need that. It's a tossup for me, Damon or Pena.

Alcan my man, what's up dude!

• Jon says:

Pineda will most definitly be in the starting rotation, they didn't trade Montero for a AAA pitcher.

9. Jon says:

neither, they won't any more to payroll, look for Vazquez to finally get his shot.