Yankees sign Hiroki Kuroda in a busy night

Just minutes after the news broke that the Yankees traded Jesus Montero to the Mariners for Michael Pineda, we find out that they also signed Hiroki Kuroda to a one-year deal worth $10 million, according to Jack Curry and Buster Olney.

The Yankees have managed to add two pieces to their rotation tonight and have not hurt their longterm payroll goals.

They now have seven pitchers who will fight for five spots in the rotation. Phil Hughes is likely one of the men out and A.J. Burnett may be the other, but the Yankees will certainly keep Freddy Garcia and Ivan Nova on short leashes.

This does set the Yankees up with an opportunity to trade Hughes. Perhaps they will look to land a bat to replace Montero’s, who they were counting on getting the bulk of their DH at bats. Not sure Hughes would fetch a lot as his value has got to be at an all-time low.

My question, with Pineda and Kuroda in the mix, who is the No. 2 starter? Who is the odd man out?

This entry was posted in Transactions and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Yankees sign Hiroki Kuroda in a busy night

1. Jack says:

I think that there are 7 pitchers for 5 spots — Sabithia, Kuroda, Pineda, Nova, Garcia, Burnett and Hughes.

2. NYYJJinATL says:

The Yankees should roll with: CC, Kuroda, Nova, Pineda and Garcia. That is a VERY solid rotation!

Eat whatever money is needed to move AJ….and put Hughes in the pen where he's already proven he's a MUCH better pitcher.

• Mel says:

Couldn't agree with you more JJin….let's hope Kuroda continues his consistency in getting batters out.

3. Bronx_Knight says:

Wow, so we got Kuroda. I'm sure his coming down to $10M was what cemented the deal.

The anxiety level in Yankee-Land has just gone down a lot, with the signings of Kuroda and Pineda. One solid veteran and one very promising young arm.

I agree with NYYJJinATL, that the rotation will probably play out to be CC, Kuroda, Nova, Pineda and Garcia. As a practical matter, however, and much as I have disliked AJ Burnett, I think he will be likely to get some kind of chance to prove himself, maybe in a competition with Garcia and Hughes. Nova has absolutely earned a guaranteed spot. I assume, since we just traded our best prospect (and a possible future Edgar Martinez) in Montero, that Pineda will go straight into the rotation and will not have to fight for a spot.

I am feeling much better about 2012 than I did two days ago. I was beginning to fear that 2012 was going to be a holding-pattern for us. Now I think the Yanks will be the team to beat in the American League.

4. Elena123 says:

We still need some other bench pieces
    Burnett+ 10 million and Nunez for prado and hinske does it for me
    We do not need Damon nor manny
    Or swap Burnett for Jason bay

5. hotdog says:

Seems like a lot of money for Kuroda, $10 mil. My hope is that the $10 mil spend on his contract doesn't give him too much of a leg up on the competition. I'd like to see Hughes in the rotation if he can get in shape. I think he still has the potential of being a good major league pitcher if given the chance.