Yankees sign Andy Pettitte

Jorge Posada might have retired, but the Yankees are getting one of the Core Four back.

Andy Pettitte has signed a one-year $2.5 million minor league deal to return to the Yankees, according to Jack Curry of the YES Network.

Pettitte said back in February that he was physically able to make a comeback if he wanted, but didn’t sound as if he was even considering such a comeback at the time. Apparently after coming into spring training as an instructor, he got the desire to give it a shot.

“It is Andy Pettitte,” a team executive told Joel Sherman of the NY Post. “If he wants to come back, we say yes.”

Pettitte will begin working out and while opening day is “in play” it is possible that he’ll begin the year in extended spring training before joining the team, Sherman reported.

UPDATE: Curry reported that Brian Cashman made Pettitte an offer in the $10-$12 million range back in December before signing Hiroki Kuroda or trading for Michael Pineda, but Pettitte turned it down. Pettitte of course eventually settled for $2.5 million which does not include incentives, according to Sherman.

Cashman said on the YES Network that despite having starting pitching depth that Pettitte at $2.5 million was too good to pass up. Pettitte has thrown around six bullpen sessions, but Cashman said that he’s still going to need a full spring training. Expect him around May.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Yankees sign Andy Pettitte

1. Bronx_Knight says:

My heart stopped when I heard this.

FWIW, I've heard Pettite's deal described as a minor league contract. I have to assume it will take him some time to get back to fighting trim.

2. NYYinATL says:

I am both surprised as hell and totally EXCITED!! LOVE Andy! They need his fire and edge in that clubhouse. : )

3. john says:

So that gives them 7 starers again.
    They just wasted $10mil on Hiroki Vazquez. Im mean Javier Kuroda

• Marc Perez says:

I can't wait until you Javier Vazquez pessimists are proven wrong. Kuroda has never pitched in the AL, can we at least give him a shot before we start trash talking him??

• Mike Sommer says:

Kuroda tossed some scoreless innings the other day… and was disappointed in his stuff. The guy does know how to pitch. 3.07 last year, 3.45 in his career… for a team that didn't hit (only Kemp had 20 HR or 70 RBI for the Dodgers last year). Give the guy a break. Let's see how he does before making any Javy Vazquez comparisons. Just wanted to add one thing (3 hours after I posted the above). In June and July of last year, Kuroda was 1-8. His ERA for those two months? 2.66. Yeah, 2.66. Talk about hard luck. Sometimes you have to look deeper.

4. Fred says:

No kidding, my first reaction when I read this news was to check if I was in a coma the last 2 weeks and it was April Fool's Day.

I don't even know what to think, but it can't possibly hurt. If only he never left, we could have really used him last year

5. Matt_DC says:

This is absolutely crazy. Even if his stuff doesn't hold up the mere thought of seeing #46 in pinstripes makes me smile.

6. john says:

You guys are right. I apologize to the GREAT KURODA.
    I should know better than that

7. hotdog says:

It's just good to see Andy Pettite in pinstripes. I hope he's sharp in October. If Pineda has a good season and Nova performs anything close to 2011, we've got a 100 win team…i never liked these guys like Kuroda coming from the NL but who knows, maybe he joins the parade.