Yankees injury update: Aardsma throws 2 innings in rehab start

Yankees reliever David Aardsma, who has been on the DL all season while recovering from Tommy John Surgery, made just his second appearance of the season on Saturday night. He pitched two innings, struck out three, walked none, and gave up two hits and afterward said he was feeling just fine.

“I’m very happy with the second inning,” Aardsma told Mark Didtler of Newsday. “That was going to be the big question for me, throwing that second inning. I felt the ball was still coming out good and I was able to control my pitches. That’s all you want.”

“Absolutely, another step forward,” said Aardsma. “I’m very happy with it.”

Yankees GM Brian Cashman confirmed earlier in the week Aardsma will be called up about a day or two after his 30 rehab period is over so expect him back on the team by July 20th with no setbacks.

Joba Chamberlain is also close to coming back too. He threw his second bullpen session this week and is expected to face live batters for the first time since last season on Monday. The Yankees will evaluate him when they head to Tampa to face the Rays next week.

This entry was posted in Yankees Injury News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Yankees injury update: Aardsma throws 2 innings in rehab start

1. Tanned Tom says:

It'll be interesting to see who loses their spot on the team with both Aardsma and Chamberlain coming back this year. At first you'd think it would be another middle reliever, but I wonder if it might be Garcia. He's pitched pretty well out of the pen and teams are always looking for veteran starters at the trade deadline. With Kuroda a bit less inconsistent, Pettitte looking like he'll hold up, and Nova finding his groove, Garcia is not as needed now.

• Yankeesnow says:

I just don't like Joba . he's one of those type pitchers that can't cut it in New Yorkhe has a fragile mental attitude not good for a Yankee pitcher!!!

• Tanned Tom says:

Yeah right, his career ERA is only 3.70. That stinks. He threw 28 innings last year (ERA 2.83) with a bum elbow that needed ligament replacement surgery. That sucks too, real evidence of not being able to cut it.

2. I imagine the bullpen will look like this: Soriano, D-Rob, Logan, Wade, Rapada, Eppley, Aardsma. Injuries, including one to the starting rotation, would obviously change this.

3. alcan says:

don't be surprise if joba isn't throwing in the high 90's or even triple digit. As Tom said above Joba had the 7th inning locked down before he had to have surgery… pitching effectively when soriano had been on the DL. Joba's perseverance and hard work has to be admired here… some people thought he was done for rest of season. His work ethic cannot be questioned…. He has a choip on his shoulder and is trying to prove something… I'll take joba over any of the nondescripts we have in the pen: wade, rapada, epply, etc…

4. Dexter says:

It has been a difficult year for him. I see him as a warrior who will play through injuries all season long.

los angeles personal injury lawyer

5. Dexter says:

los angeles personal injury lawyer

6. Greta Abernathy says:

The Yankees has got to have a great personal injury lawyer in Perth for all the injuries their players are getting. It's no joke getting a serious injury for a game so they have to be insured and protected.