Yankees claim Darnell McDonald off waivers from Boston

The Yankees have claimed former Red Sox outfielder Darnell McDonald off waivers and will designate the recently claimed Chris Schwinden for assignment to make room for him on the 40-man roster, according to Marc Carig and Mark Feinsand.

McDonald is expected to join the Yankees on Friday against the Red Sox in Boston. The Yankees aren’t likely to announce who he will knock off the active roster until Friday.¬†Dewayne Wise seems like the most obvious choice to go with Jayson Nix and D.J. Mitchell as two other possibilities.

It would be a shame to see Wise go though. In 13 games since May 22nd, he has hit .393/.414/.821 and credits Kevin Long with helping him improve his stance at the plate. He has also provided the Yankees with strong defense at all three outfield positions.

McDonald can also play all three outfield spots. He was designated for assignment by the Sox after hitting .214/.309/.369 in 99 plate appearances this season. His his career he hits .248/.313/.396 which is good for a 88 OPS+.

This entry was posted in Transactions and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Yankees claim Darnell McDonald off waivers from Boston

1. J. Weiner says:

Wise for Jones?

2. Guest says:

Phelps down for the weekend! (Then McDonald goes)

3. Mike Sommer says:

Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News stated that since Phelps won't be used again until after the break, that he could be sent down and get further stretched out with a start at AAA over the break then be brought back up after the break. At that point, you get CC back, and if you then take Phelps as the #5 starter over Freddy, that start wouldn't be until July 17th. But I'm a bit confused and surprised at the McDonald signing, especially after Wise has done so well lately. You have a righty hitting OF raking at AAA in Mustelier. The only thing I see is the versatility (all 3 OF positions) that McDonald, 33, does better than the 27 year old Mustelier. But Wise can play all three OF positions … this, and the Qualls move (4.60 ERA for Philly) have me scratching my head. Unless Qualls was just to send Wade down and buy time into August, when hopefully Joba and/or Aardsma are ready. But I can't say that I get either deal…

• Matt_DC says:

The Post reports the Yankees are going with McDonald because the Sox are throwing three lefties this weekend. It seems like a non-impact move. Unless McDonald hits the cover off the ball he is only a theoretical upgrade over the current bench – and Mustelier's bat makes more sense to me if they're making a move (hey, at least give him a shot).

The Post also reports the Yankees are taking advantage of the extra double-header pitcher rule and will call Wade back up.

• Mike Sommer says:

Thanks, Matt!

• Thanks Matt. I'm actually going to put up a post about all of this soon.

• Matt_DC says:

Didn't mean to jump the gun, Rob!

• No problem at all. I wasn't even sure I was going to be able to update the site at all as I'm going to be busy all weekend. So it's good that I have readers like you and Mike that help keep the regulars updated. This is probably it until Monday (although I do have a few scheduled posts to go up this weekend, nothing is news related).