Stop booing A-Rod you spoiled, ignorant Yankees fans

It’s become the thing to do. Visit New York, go to a Yankees game, and boo Alex Rodriguez.

I’ll admit it can be fun. Heck, even I’ve done it, but the last time was probably way back in 2008. Since then things have changed and A-Rod is one of the last Yankees worthy of the boo-birds.

Things changed back in 2009. A-Rod, who had always been kind of a buffoon off the field and seemed to always fall on his face in the playoffs, was outed as a steroid cheat. It seemed like just another bad chapter in what was an annoying Yankee career despite MVP seasons of 2005 and 2007. Except he owned up to it and finally stopped taking himself so seriously.

Then on May 8 against the Orioles he smacked a homer that was almost like an on field announcement – he was done playing games.

A-Rod went on to have a great season and hit .286/.402/.532. Not quite the numbers he had just put up in 2007, but still among the best in the game. Then it happened, he did something he had never done in the playoffs (well technically never done from Game 5 of the 2004 ACLS to 2007), he went on a tear in the playoffs.

In 15 games during the 2009 playoffs and World Series, A-Rod hit a monstrous .365/.500/.808 with five doubles and six homers. It wasn’t just the numbers either it was the timing as well. His hits were big. Even his bad nights came when the pitching staff carried the team. And just when it looked like he was cooling off, boom, a Game 4 game tying RBI-double in the ninth inning off Brad Lidge.

A-Rod almost single handedly put the team on his back in the playoffs to carry them to a World Series and then played a huge role in helping them win it. Quite an achievement considering not a single Cubs player has done that in the past 100 years. Heck, it’s been almost 30 years since the cross town Mets have even been as lucky. But today Yankees fans seem to have forgotten about it, forgotten about the 2009 World Series and A-Rod’s amazing contribution to it.

But who am I kidding? New York is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kind of town. So A-Rod did more for the Yankees in one October than most active players have ever done in their careers. Who cares? This season he hasn’t gotten it done.

A-Rod’s numbers this season have paled in comparrison to his career. Instead of OPS’ing nearly 1.000 each year his line is just .274/.351/.450 (an .801 OPS). He certainly doesn’t get a pass for his age because of his contract and besides Derek Jeter is older and having a better year.

Except Jeter, who never gets booed and has been talked about by Yankees fans as a possible MVP candidate, really isn’t having a better season than A-Rod. Sure Jeter’s .322 average is much more impressive than A-Rod’s .274 mark, but this isn’t 1984 and we know that batting average isn’t everything. Not all hits are created equal.

A-Rod’s line of .274/.351/.450 is nearly identical to Jeter’s .322/.366/.443 line (just .008 OPS points different). But one player gets booed with every 0-fer and the other is an MVP candidate? Surely, you jest.

Now I know there are differences between the two players. Jeter has been consistent and A-Rod has spent time on the DL. But A-Rod’s broken hand was a freak accident the result of getting hit by a pitch and even Jeter went through a very rough stretch in May and part of June. At the end of the season their results are similar. Jeter has reached base slightly more, but A-Rod’s at bats pack slightly more of a punch. It seems as if the differences are merely expectations.

But let’s ignore everything I’ve said to this point and get to the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately aspect again. The Yankees offense, which still ranks second in all of baseball overall, has struggle lately. Specifically they struggled during a rough month of August.

Luckily, the Yankees got A-Rod back in September and in the first 13 games of the month he went on a bit of a tear. He hit in 12 of his first 13 games back and had an impressive .300/.351/.520 line behind it.

Then yesterday happened. A-Rod went 0-fer in the first game and boos started raining down on him. Then he went 0-fer in the second game and they got louder, more intense.

A friend of mine at the game, a Mets fan, who took his girlfriend, a Yankees fan, to the night game for her birthday was confused. Why were they booing A-Rod? Didn’t he win them a World Series? Hasn’t he been their hottest batter over the past two weeks? Weren’t the Yankees in the middle of sweeping a doubleheader? He joked, they should try watching a Mets game (the Mets have now lost 24 of their last 28 home games).

Things have gotten out of hand when a Mets fan is standing up for A-Rod more than Yankees fans are.

Yesterday was a rough day for A-Rod to be sure. He went 0-for-7 with five strikeouts. Really bad. But try to keep things in perspective. Try not to come off as spoiled brats who can’t even remember that A-Rod had a big RBI just the day before. Try to remember how special each World Series really is and A-Rod’s amazing contribution to it. It makes all of us, as a fan base, look pretty silly.

Editor’s note: I would like to add that it is certainly not all Yankees fans who boo A-Rod. There are quite a few of us who support him and have not forgotten his contributions of 2009, this season, and even the last few weeks. This article was aimed at a few Yankees fans, perhaps even a small, but loud, minority of us. To those Yankees fans out there who are not giving the rest of us a bad name, I say thank you.

This entry was posted in Editorial and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Stop booing A-Rod you spoiled, ignorant Yankees fans

1. machoman7 says:

Agree 100%.

2. nicole calao says:

are you serious with this article?? Newsflash: not every Yankees fan is spoiled and ignorant.

3. Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

I think what's a major part of the booing is the fact that he got the largest contract in history and we have years more of a declining player who will further become less and less effective.

• So then perhaps you should be booing Randy Levine or Hank Steinbrenner?

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

If and when Randy of Hank makes a plate appearance, I'll be happy to boo the heck of them. Until then, ARod will do just fine.

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

Rob,

I have to say that your editor's note is one of the most pretentious and obnoxious comments that I've read by a blogger.

Fans have the right to boo for whoever they want to whenever they want to. There are LOTS of Yankee fans who boo ARod. And mark my words, it will be a huge majority in the years to come. That's what's in store for him whether he likes it or not, or whether you like it or not.

He made his bed in large part by being such a douchebag for years, even before coming to the Yankees. But even aside from that, players get booed all the time for not performing. Crawford has gone through nothing but hell in his time in Boston. Pujols was regularly booed by some of the most laid back fans in Southern California in the early part of this season when the ink on his contract hadn't even dried. It's almost like you have no clue of the world you live in.

• Matt_DC says:

>>I have to say that your editor's note is one of the most pretentious and obnoxious comments that I've read by a blogger <<

Seriously?

• Crawford and Pujols never won a World Series for their respective teams. Fans in St. Louis aren't booing Pujols.

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

ARod did not win the World Series for the Yanks. He did contribute but one could certainly rail against him on all the years he failed to do anything in the postseason. It seems like you want to look upon him with rose colored glasses only.

• Difference is teams only win 1 World Series every 30 years on average. A lot of teams go longer than that without a World Series. 1 team has gone over 100 years. Winning a World Series is an extremely hard feat to accomplish. My point is that we should treat it for what it is – very special – and not act like a spoiled fan base.

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

Whether it happens once in four years or once in 30 years, I agree that it's special. However, what I completely disagree with is the notion that one guy should be given so much credit in an obvious team game, especially when one could argue that they win without ARod anyway. According to your logic, any regular starter from any World Series winning team should be exempt from booing.

I didn't see you stick up for Burnett this way and he actually pitched a HUGE CRITICAL game in the World Series that year. Plus, Burnett's always been a great teammate and had a MUCH smaller contract and stayed healthy.

• stoogazzo says:

Well said, Hardcore Yankee Fan.

• stoogazzo says:

I believe you are correct, Rob. It was Hank Steinbrenner who renegotiated the contract when Boras and Arod opted out. Since then Hank has been relocated to the horse stables in Ocala.

4. john says:

ok but how is that arod's fault im a HUGE arod fan and i have defended him more than one time. so tired of hearing about the contract and declining players stuff. we all know it already but how is that arod's fault? the yanks offered him that contract why wouldnt he sign it? of course arod's age would catch up to him it catches up to all of us. im one of the minority that is glad he is a yankee and will retire a yankee

• stoogazzo says:

John, ARod doesn't need you to defend him. He doesn't care that you are a huge fan of his. Every fan has the right to make comments whether negative or positive regarding a ballplayer. The man opted out of his contract and renegotiated a new multi-year contract. He is now earning 29 million per year and he doesn't even know you are alive. Yes, he will retire a Yankee five years from now, and I would like to know if you will have the same love for him then?

• john says:

ok so whats the problem with what i said then? it was a general response not toward the person who made it. and why do i care if arod cares about me being a fan of his or if im alive? does every athlete you root for have to care or know if you are rooting for them or if you are alive? why would that matter? im sure jeter doesnt care that millions of yankees fans love him or if they are all alive. not sure i understand your comment or maybe you didnt understand what i was trying to say. weird out of all the comments you picked mine to comment on.

5. stoogazzo says:

I guess it's just the old cliche', What have you done for me lately? Or it could be, What have you done for me lately, since you're earning 29 million dollars a year?

• Well, lately A-Rod has been one of the hottest hitters on the team. That's all. One bad day doesn't make much of a difference in that.

• stoogazzo says:

I appreciate your comment, Rob. A-Rod has been a contributor since he returned to the line-up and has had some key hits. However, Rob, the fact remains that he did have a horrendous performance in the double-header, and that performance should not be overlooked. I assure you if A-Rod has a good game tonight, I will be one of the first to recognize and comment on it.

• Let's not pretend this is football. 1 or even 2 games are such a small blip on the radar that there is no reason to boo a guy for such a small infraction. Nobody boos Jeter when he has a tiny blip like that.

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

It isn't just "1 or even 2 games". Either your being disingenuous, or you're the one being "ignorant".

As for Jeter, how many articles were written about paying him nothing or giving him a one year contract or something along those lines after the one bad year he had in 2010 after finishing 6th in MVP voting the year before? You yourself had those types of articles.

• Jeter is paid along the lines of what he's worth. I wrote that the Yankees should not bid against themselves for his services (which they shouldn't do for any player) and after Jeter's contract was signed I wrote that it was fair.

• stoogazzo says:

Rob, you miss my point. If A-Rod has a bad game I would be more apt to ignore it. But I cannot categorize his performance as a small blip on the radar. It was a glaringly horrendous performance, and I firmly believe the magnitude of it should not be overlooked. Regarding your comment on Jeter, he did not have a particularly good game. He came up several times with runners in scoring position and did not produce. However, you cannot compare Jeter's performance to the level that ARod had in the double-header.

6. Thank God someone else agree with my sentiments on this…I was at both games of the doubleheader yesterday and it was terrible. The first game had barely anyone there but the boooos were still dominantly loud when A-rod struck out n his third at bat.

Just so you know…. A-rod struck out 5x's total in his 7-at-bats and he did have an RBI in the first game yesterday.

Still….this post was perfectly written and perfectly timed because at times I feel like a red-headed step child cheering for A-rod in Yankees Stadium.

If Yankee fans were signing his paychecks than they could boooo A-rod all they want but that is not the case. The case is A-rod works harder than anyone to be that clutch player to earn the fans cheers but at this point I don't think it matters what he does, as certain Yankee fans will find something else to boooo him for.

I love A-rod and regardless if he is hitting, when he is in the line-up that team is much harder to face.

• Matt_DC says:

I agree with Rob as well. It is not productive to add pressure to a player that some do not find "likeable." Hey, my eyebrows were raised when the Yankees brass foolishly tied up millions and millions by extending him (basically bidding against themselves). But what was he supposed to do – turn down the money? Alex comes to play so I cheer him loudly when I can make it to the Bronx.

I remember toward the end of Mattingly's career the boobirds starting to circle when he was struggling (due to back issues). It was embarrassing. Fans like that give the rest of us the image of spoiled Yankee fans

7. Bernard Kane says:

I like them both as players and people. A-Rod has matured tremendously, and it shows. His teamamtes like and respect him, and that says a lot.
    But the expectations of each player are different. Jeter is expected to be a singles hitter, and A-Rod is expected to produce big hits and RBIs. Of his 112 hits this year only 35 are better than singles, or 31.25%. His last year of 30 homers, 2010, that percentage was 43.26. His RBI percentage of hits is 50% this year, and 88% in 2010. These are big differences.
    I understand he's older, but so is Jeter. I am still behind A-Rod as a person and a professional. I want him to succeed. But the numbers aren't lying.

• Jeter is not as good as he was either. For as good as a season as Jeter is perceived to be having it's realistically only his 10th best season of his career.

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

Jeter's never been the prima donna douchebag that ARod has been.

Jeter has contributes to 5 World Series rings. ARod, just the one.

Jeter is a homegrown talent. ARod was and always has been a hired mercenary.

Jeter always hustles. ARod hasn't.

Jeter makes a lot less and has less years remaining. ARod has 5 years at outrageous amounts when he is effective a $5 million a year player.

Jeter is having a better and MUCH more durable year than ARod.

Apples and Oranges.

8. Hudson says:

Just an FYI – I live in Seattle and they still Boo him. Part of that is is our douchebaggery and double dealing from the past. Sorry but cheating is cheating. That said, he should not be booed at home. Good article.

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

Going to many road games every year, I can tell you that it's not just Seattle. They hate him EVERYWHERE. Not because they fear him at all anymore but because he has been such a douchebag, and a cheater to boot. I mean the only thing that anyone in support of him can declare as a positive attribute was his talent, which is a shell of itself.

• stoogazzo says:

Not to belabor the point, but I believe every objective Yankee fan feels that A-Rod is just a shell of the ballplayer he once was. His decline is also evident in the way he looks fielding at third. The question I often ask is how is he going to function with this steady decline for the next five years?

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

First off, I don't think there is such a thing a belaboring a point on a message forum. Furthermore, I've never booed him myself. Having said that, I have no problems with the concept of booing, nor have I EVER liked ARod.

I honestly foresee a situation in which ARod may contemplate retiring because it becomes mentally anguishing for him. The boos are going to get incredibly burdensome for him with each passing year. I honestly think it will be unprecedented in sports. I've thought about this going back a year now and this year just convinces me even more.

• stoogazzo says:

I am glad you answered my question regarding his next five years. However, Hardcore, do you believe that as he progressively declines, as will be the case, that he will walk away from a 29 million dollar payday?

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

Unfortunately no. I'm not sure what the rules are with the players association but I fathom that the Yanks will have to find some way to buy him into retirement, at some discount. I'm not sure how something like that gets structured. It could get really ugly where he becomes so ineffective that the Yanks embarrass him by sending him to the minors or something. I really don't know what will happen, I just see ugly things with this relationship coming down the line.

9. stoogazzo says:

You are one of the few people I have discussed this with that has supplied me with a cohesive scenario regarding A-Rod's demise. What a shame for a ballplayer go to out that way. I go way back with the Yankees, Hardcore, and I can say that I hold the highest regard for the Great DiMaggio and the way he went out with his head held high, as opposed to Mantle and Mays two great ballplayers who decided to hang on too long.

10. Jamey says:

I am so sick of fair weather fans. I love the Yankees period. My guts roll everytime they lose. But I don't get nasty about it. I always root for AROD . Look at what happened when he was on the DL. I don't care about his past or current failures. He is a Yankee who has earned his stripes and the respect that comes from wearing those stripes. Give the man a break and lay off. Anyone can get injured in baseball and no one is perfect.

11. Bill says:

If you're going to boo anyone (and I try to avoid it), Granderson deserves his share of crticism. The guy has morphed from an extra base machine into a dead-pull, strictly all or nothing hitter who shows absolutely no ability or inclination to adjust. 190 strikeouts (and probably more) is absolutely unacceptable. Yet I have rarely heard the fans get on him. Can you imagine how many hits (including home runs) he might have hit if he had made contact in maybe 70 of those at bats that ended in a K? Maybe 20 hits, with 5 or 6 homers? And how many more RBIs, even when making an out? Pure conjecture, I know, but if you hit the ball, something good can happen.