Rumor: Pirates making a run at Russell Martin

There are a number of teams interested in free agent catcher Russell Martin, but it appears to be coming down to a race between the Yankees and the Pittsburgh Pirates, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

Heyman says that the Pirates are prepared to offer him a three-year $25 million deal. He added that so far the Yankees are not “offering anything close to that,” and seem to prefer a two-year deal. Martin is believed to prefer re-signing with the Yankees though and Heyman suggests that if the Yankees increase their offering in either salary, an option year, or a third year that might be enough to land him.

It doesn’t sound like Martin is expected to take long in making a decision and one could come before the Winter Meetings which start next Monday in Nashville, Tenn.¬†The Rangers and Mariners are also expected to be involved in the bidding for Martin.

Crazy times we’re living in when the Pirates are able to outbid the Yankees.

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Rumor: Pirates making a run at Russell Martin

1. Tanned Tom says:

Let them have him. This guy sucks offensively, his numbers are in a nosedive, and anyone stupid enough to pick Pittsburgh over NY deserves all that's coming to him. I mean, honestly. Romine, Whiteside and Stewart, serve it up!

2. John says:

and he'll be reunited with his buddy, AJ Burnett. C-ya Russell and good luck in the city that MLB forgot.

3. Gonzalo Hiram says:

If the contract was 2y/12-14M that would be different. For the amount of money the Pirates are paying I really don't care.

What pissed me off was reading Denard Span for just one single highly-touted pitching prospect.
    Really.
    The twins are so dumb, and I don't understand how Cashman didn't get involved in a Span trade, He has an extremely friendly contract and it didn't take too much to get him, I even would say it took nothing.

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

Not sure why you're so upset about Span. He's a very average hitter who's value derives from playing a position that the Yankees have two guys who can play.

• I think that's a great move for the Twins. They landed a potential ace in that trade.

• We landed a potential ace just for Montero that's why I think they could get more from Span.
        It's just a potential pitcher. Look at Joba, Brackman or Betances and there were 3 potentials. Also look at Pineda he was supposed to be more than a potential he was supposed to be a probed one that's why I prefer 2-4 well tested players

4. Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

Wow! I'm surprise that the Yanks didn't pull the trigger on that but I guess the AAV was a bit too much for them. Certainly the dollars couldn't have been an issue apart from 2014 budget considerations.

5. ollie says:

You Martin haters got your way, he is off to the Pirates. So now they have a prehistoric pitching staff and no catcher. Maybe Posada is coming back! I really miss "The Boss"

• Tanned Tom says:

Oh yeah, we got our way. Cashman has me on speed dial. I like Martin, but a player who "hits" .211 is not good enough to keep around.
      And "the Boss" is Springsteen, Steinbrenner was a horse's ass. The great teams of the 90's were assembled by Bob Watson and Gene Michael, when he was banned from baseball. The teams he assembled for 12 years (82-94) sucked ass. So every time somebody misses him, they're advertising their ignorance. Anyone care to guess what the last great signing or trade was that was a Steinbrenner special (and not Cashman)?

6. Fred says:

…Two years 17 Mil was too rich for us?

These are strange days