Francisco Cervelli suffers whiplash in Venezuela

Francisco+Cervelli

Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli was hit by a foul tip during a game in the Venezuelan Winter League and suffered whiplash. He had a MRI down in Venezuela that came back clear, but he was sent to the Yankees physicality in Tampa as a precaution.

“We brought him in just to take a look at him and made sure he was fine,” Yankees GM Brian Cashman told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com. “He was cleared and there were no injuries, so he’s free to resume play if that’s what he chooses to do. That’s what he told us he was going to do.”

The Yankees better hope it is just whiplash and not another concussion as Cervelli has already had three concussions over his short career. He is in the running to be their starting catcher this year and another concussion could put a serious damper on his chances.

With Cervelli’s injury concerns it makes it more likely that the Yankees will go with Chris Stewart as their starting catcher. They put a strong emphasis on defense anyway and playing Cervelli part-time would lessen his risk of further injury. Rookie catcher Austin Romine is another option, but Cashman has said that he’s likely to start the season in the minors.

Cervelli spent most of the 2012 season in the minors following his unexpected demotion. He didn’t exactly prove that the demotion was unwarranted when he hit just .246/.341/.316 in 99 games in Triple-A last season.

This entry was posted in Yankees Injury News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Francisco Cervelli suffers whiplash in Venezuela

1. Mike says:

2. Well, I guess risks like this come with the position. After all, playing catcher means that you're dangerously close to the firing line of both the baseball bat and the baseball itself.

3. Wow, I feel sorry for this guy. He has become so injury prone that he may never have the chance to contend for a starting job at any level.again. After really getting screwed in spring training I think it's time he caught a break.
    clipping path

4. Wow, I feel sorry for this guy. He has become so injury prone that he may never have the chance to contend for a starting job at any level.again. After really getting screwed in spring training I think it's time he caught a break.
    clipping path

5. site says:

I am impressed by the reviews I have read about your essay writing site. I think I will try you out for an English Literature paper. Let me know of your interest I will share the details.

6. Verin says:

Francisco player have really great talent and easyessaywriting.org get easy essay services on reliable cost as consumer need and our promotion is education purpose

7. Verin says:

8. Lipozene says:

Online reading is not my thing. But after reading your blog I am really pleased. I don’t know about other blogs but this I will definitely keep coming back to.

9. Lipozene says:

Amazing article. I am so impressed. Could never think of such a thing is possible with it…I think you have a great knowledge especially while dealings with such subjects.

10. Mehru says:

Bad news but this guy is exceptional. He has fitted very quickly and back again very soon on the field.
    Tourism Companies in dubai

11. Mehru says:

Tourism Companies in dubai

12. ratonpramanik says:

To have a "yes" election you'll want to cause them to become "feel" that you find yourself. Achieve that a toronto injury lawyer make my essay reveal one thing regarding that you are, what we are usually including, or maybe how we feel.

13. ratonpramanik says:

14. hotdog says:

what's going on with these odd comments…

15. Stephen says:

In sports injuries are very common and sometimes it could be dangerous so we have protected these kind of incidents. Francisco Cervelli is a brave men and he will be alright soon.
    hairpieces

16. LiYang BGA says:

Baseball is an extremely challenging amusement and its needs part of stamina at some point it happens in this game. He will be okay soon.

17. SEO Help says:

If you are a sportsman there is no way that you do not have any injury and in baseball this is really difficult because you always have consecrations on your game. So after getting injury its really hard to come back i game at the same time. I hope he join the game again with full energy.

18. I absolutely enjoyed every single small little bit of it. I’ve you bookmarked your internet site to look at out the new stuff you post.

19. James says:

This is really very hectic for a sportsman to go out of their game due to some injury because not only it makes you out of the game in the time of injury but also after injury you do not have enough temperament to come back to game after injury. For a baseball player it is too much irritating because it is a hard game.

sore muscles

20. Lipozene says:

I tag it to my favorites internet site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my web site also and let me know what you think.

21. This is the passion as a sportsman u got injured but u should preferred ur game at the first priorty. i've bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff. !

22. It hurts the earth; it pushes low paid work, a bad mental self view and purposelessness and helps the expansion of consumerism.

23. Francisco cervelli is good baseball player but i really like cricket and football games :) operating system assignment

24. SlimQuick says: