• On the offense: Girardi explains that the Yankees offense will rely on speed more rather than the home runs as they’ve done in recent years.
• On Mariano Rivera: “I feel pretty good about Mo.”
• On Derek Jeter: “There’s concern until you see him go through a week…In my mind, I believe he’s going to be an everyday shortstop for us.”
• On Michael Pineda: “I don’t think we’re going to see him in a game in Spring Training, anything like that.” He added that they hope to see him in the summer.
• On the lineup: “I’m going to play with some different ideas during spring training.”
• On Alex Rodriguez: “There’s not a lot he can do here.”
On an aging roster: “It’s always a concern…Last year we were old and we won 95 games.”
State of the Yankees: “This team could win 95 games and get to the World Series.”