CC Sabathia didn’t have his best stuff and his velocity is still in the 90-92 mph range, but he was still able to lead the Yankees to a 5-0 victory behind a strong seven-inning, shutout performance against tough Tigers lineup.
Sabathia put runners on in every inning except the seventh, but the Tigers really only challenged him in the fourth when they had a mini two-out rally when he walked one and gave up a bloop single, but he got Omar Infante to fly out to left to end the treat. He was out of gas in the seventh though he still managed a 1-2-3 inning.
The Yankees scored three runs in the second which gave them a 3-0 lead which they held for most of the game. Jayson Nix got the big blow that inning with a two-run blast to left field.
• A couple of singles made things interesting for Mariano Rivera in the ninth, but he pitched a scoreless inning which was his last regular season game in Detroit of his career. It wasn’t a save though.
• David Robertson pitched a scoreless eighth before that, but, like Mo, also made it interesting by putting two runners on. He pulled his typical Houdini act and got out of it.
• In addition to the big home run in the second inning, Nix went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
• The ball was jumping off the bat of Kevin Youkilis as he went 2-for-4 and nearly missed a home run in his first at bat that barely went foul. He helped tack on runs in the ninth with a two-run single.
• Francisco Cervelli had a nice day going 2-for-3. He drove in the first run of the game on a double that left fielder Matt Tuiasosopo got a terrible jump on. He drove in another run on a clean single in the eighth inning.
• Vernon Wells continued his strong start. He scored in the eighth after he reached base for the third time in the game as he went 1-for-3 with a pair of walks.
• Eduardo Nunez got in the game as a pinch hitter, but he wasn’t available to play the field or hit as he’s still dealing with a bruised bicep after he got hit by a pitch on Friday. It sounds like he could play Monday, but at this point it seems like he’ll need at least one more day off.