BBDP May 21st: Three shutouts as pitching is lights out

Matt Tracy6BBDP MVP: Matt Tracy: 6.0 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 7 K

Triple-A RailRiders: L 1-5 at Columbus. L: Wang (2-4)

Melky Mesa: 2/5, K (.253)
Zoilo Almonte: 2/5, SB (4) (.273)
Ronnier Mustelier: 3/5, R, SB (4) (.247) 15 for his last 45 (.333)
Thomas Neal: 1/3, 2 BB, K (.323)
Chien-Ming Wang: 5.2 IP, 7 H, ER, 2 BB, 4 K (3.07 ERA)
Chase Whitley: 1.1 IP, H, ER, BB (4.91 ERA) Second game back from injury, still shaking off the rust.
Cody Eppley: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, K (5.06 ERA) I think he’s played his last game in pinstripes will all of the prospect options the Yankees have right now.

Double-A Trenton: W 3-0 vs Richmond. W: Daley (1-0) S: Kahnle (4)

Ramon Flores: 1/4, R, 2 K CS (3) (.244)
Jose Pirela: 1/2, R, 2B, 2 BB, SB (5) (.206)
Tyler Austin: 0/4, K (.248)
JR Murphy: 0/3, R, BB (.287)
Slade Heathcott: 1/4, 2B, 2 RBI (.236) Had an RBI double late in the game to put the game away.
Matt Tracy: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 K (6.43 ERA) Over his last four starts, he has a 2.42 ERA with 24 K in 22 1/3 innings pitched.
Matt Daley: 1.2 IP, H, 0 ER, 2 K (0.00 ERA)
Francisco Rondon: 0.1 IP, H, 0 ER, 0 K (7.44 ERA)
Tommy Kahnle: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, K (1.77 ERA) Nasty, nasty bullpen they have at this level.

High-A Tampa: W 7-0 at Bradenton. W: Sean Black (2-0)

Mason Williams: 0/4, R, BB, SB (6) (.229)
Angelo Gumbs: 0/2, R, 2 BB, K (.200)
Robert Refsnyder: 1/3, R, BB, K (.328)
Gary Sanchez: 0/4, R, RBI, BB (.272)
Ben Gamel: 3/5, 3 2B, 3 RBI (.263)
Dan Fiorito: 0/3, RBI, K (.316)
Sean Black: 5.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 3 K (2.01 ERA) Quietly having an excellent season so far.

Low-A Charleson: W 2-0 at Savannah. W: DePaula (5-2), S: Alex Smith (3)

Taylor Dugas: 1/3, R, SB (7), CS (3), BB, K (.254)
Cito Culver: 1/4, 2 K (.220)
Greg Bird: 0/4, K (.278)
Peter O’Brien: 2/4, R, 2B, 3B, 2 K (.328) 15 for his last 38 (.394) with five doubles, a triple, and two homeruns.
Dante Bichette Jr.: 1/3, 3B, RBI, BB (.202) Now has a seven game hit streak going.
Reymond Nunez: 0/4, K (.284)
Claudio Custodio: 0/3, 2 K (.242)
Rafael DePaula: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K (2.38 ERA) 1.36 ERA in his last six starts over 33.0 innings. He has 47 K over that time period and 13 BB. They’ll probably keep him here until the all-star break to build up his value and groom him a bit more, but after that he’s leaving them no choice but to promote him.
Alex Smith: 2.0 IP, H, 0 ER, BB, 3 K (1.13 ERA)

Tomorrow’s Starters: Jose Ramirez, Scottie Allen, Evan Rutckyj

Tweets of the day:

Jose Mesa Jr ‏@JoeTable: Dinner with arod there is your pic pic.twitter.com/9G5cXLaipz

Thomas Neal ‏@TdaddyNeal: #ChangeOfHeart I’m going 2 Donate $20 bucks 4 every HIT I get until the Triple-A All-Star Break. #OperationHelpOKC #WhoWants2MatchIt

Evan Rutckyj ‏@erudz: “@Xbox: A #Halo live action TV series executive produced by Steven Spielberg is coming to #XboxOne” @MathewBass

Taylor Garrison ‏@T_Garrison11: I’m watching Beam Me Up (Miami 2013 Recap) by CAZZETTE on @VEVO for iPhone. Soooo sick! http://vevo.ly/16jTEf7

Ty Hensley ‏@TyHensley17: challenge all professional athletes out there with ties to our great state to match or exceed those donations #OKstrong #prayforOK

Slade Heathcott ‏@HeathcottSlade: Shoot forgot shoulder shrugs… Still #attacktheday though

Pat Venditte ‏@PatVenditte: Rehab done for the day. Time to tune to #ESPN3 and watch the #Creighton invite. #MVC tournament. #rolljays

JR Murphy ‏@JRMurphy513: Can’t stop praying for those affected in Oklahoma. Our thoughts are with them.

This entry was posted in BBDP. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to BBDP May 21st: Three shutouts as pitching is lights out

1. vinnny says:

I dont see mark montgomery….whats he up to

2. Greg Corcoran says:

He's still around. He took a bit of a step back this year and is now in Triple-A trying to get back to his old velocity. Apparently with all of the work he did in the offseason he wasn't 100% prepared for the season this year. He's not a guy I'm worried about though with that slider.

3. I'm starting to get worried about Mason Williams. He's been terrible this year and between that and the DUI he is definitely going in the wrong direction.

• gcorcoran says:

An extremely valid concern. He's been going down the wrong path. All I can say is that he just turned 21. As far as the DUI goes he apparently blew under the legal limit. It occurred at 2 am. For him to go the whole night until 2 am and stay under the legal limit, I'm actually impressed. The fact that he drove like an idiot while close to the legal limit was stupid, but I give him credit for staying under the limit personally.

That said, I think it's possible he could be going down a road that many of us do when we turn 21 and have free access to alcohol whenever we want it. Most people outgrow that phase by the time they reach 22, so hopefully he will as well. He's still young and almost every player hits a stumbling block at some point in their career. I'll be more concerned if by the end of the season he hasn't turned the corner. I think he will though, he's just too athletic and talented not to.

I have not written him off yet (not that you have), and I still feel pretty confident he'll turn things around.

• Fred says:

Hopefully that DUI will be enough of a warning for him to get it together.

He's a top Yankees prospect, SURELY there is someone to cart him around. That sort of thing is just careless.

Greg, do you know what Sean Black is pitching to go with his fastball this year? I found a few articles from 2009 when he was drafted talking about how he had a mid 90s fastball but weak secondary pitches that need improvement. Is he still using the change and the curveball? Because whatever it is its working so far this year. But he's also 24/25 and in High A…

• gcorcoran says:

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more information on him but as far as I know it's the same stuff as always. He's a 25 year old in High-A so at this point if he was not manhandling these kids then he'd probably be flat out released. As far as I know the Yankees view him as an organizational arm and I doubt if much has changed this season. At this stage of the game I'd just chalk it up to him being excessively old for his level, I'd be surprised if it was anything else.

It's always possible he had an uptick in stuff or figured something out. If so I'm sure we'll see some quick promotions because with guys his age there isn't any reason to hold them back if there's a possibility they could help the major league club (see Caleb Cotham).

• Fred says:

Yeah makes sense to me. Thanks for the response, you're like my portal into the Minor Leagues haha