The Yankees had their best pitcher on the mound, but a lineup that featured Jayson Nix batting second and Ben Francisco batting fifth so it was no surprise that they lost 2-0 to the Rockies in Colorado Tuesday night.
Kuroda did his part, 7 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, but made one mistake in the sixth inning when he gave up a two-run homer to Carlos Gonzalez that eventually lost the game.
Joe Girardi knew he was playing with a weak lineup and was aggressive early on, having Nix steal in the first inning then he had Ichiro steal second and third in the third, and finally Stewart stole in the fifth. Unfortunately, none of those runners came around to score. They were also the only runners to get into scoring position for the Yankees all game long.
• Brett Gardner had a good opportunity to steal a bag in the seventh inning, but didn’t take advantage. After the game Girardi gave a “no comment” when asked about it which, frankly, made it sound as if he expected him to steal. He also made a point to say that Gardner is a good base stealer and that he wouldn’t get angry at him if he occasionally got thrown out.
• Francisco went 0-for-1 with a walk. His line is down to .129/.270/.226. But I except Girardi, because he’s Girardi, will keep running him out there against lefties (and while not totally Francisco’s fault, the Yankees will keep losing to lefties).
• As expected, Eduardo Nunez did not play as he is still dealing with his rib cage injury.
• Chris Nelson still hasn’t reached base with the Yankees. He’s 0-for-10 in 10 plate appearances.
• TiqIQ’s job is to find the best deals and sellers out there on the market, and for Yankees tickets, check out the New York Yankees Ticket Exchange.
Photo credit: (May 6, 2013 - Source: Justin Edmonds/Getty Images North America).