For the first time this season, the Yankees lost a game when they scored five runs. Instead it was the bullpen and defense that let them down in a 8-5 loss to the Rangers in the Bronx Wednesday night.
Andy Pettitte started and was good for the most part, but he ran into trouble in the third inning after the Rangers loaded the bases with a bunt, a walk, and an error. Adrian Beltre then doubled in two runs and A.J. Pierzynski doubled in two more to make it 4-1.
The Yankees offense scored its first run on a Lyle Overbay homer in the second and RBI-singles by Robinson Cano and Travis Hafner in the sixth made it 4-3. Ichiro Suzuki‘s two-run shot in the bottom of the seventh, but Joba Chamberlain gave up a two-run shot in the top of the inning so Ichiro’s homer only made it 6-5.
The Yankees offense wasn’t up to the task of scoring two more runs, but it didn’t matter after Brett Gardner dropped a fly ball in the outfield. That lead to two more runs that effectively put the game out of reach for the Bombers.
• Ichiro Suzuki went 3-for-4 with his second home run in as many days. He’s now hit .373/.396/.588 over his past 53 plate appearances and 13 games.
• Brett Gardner also continued his hot streak with a 2-for-5 night. He’s been hitting .326/.376/.529 going all the way back to May 17. That’s at nearly an MVP level for a while now. At some point he may surpass Robinson Cano as the best offensive player on the team.
• Speaking of Cano, he went 1-for-3 and has now hit just .242/.378/.273 over his last 11 games. That’s good patience at the plate, but just one extra-base hit in that span.
• Pettitte has now given up at least three runs in four of his last five games. That’s good for a 4.83 ERA in that span.
• Joba has been awful since coming off the DL. In nine games he has a 9.00 ERA and a 2.00 WHIP in nine innings. Hopefully Joe Girardi starts using Shawn Kelley and Preston Claiborne in spots where he used to use Joba and puts an end to this silliness of using him in big spots.
• Make sure you buy your Yankees tickets as they head to Yankee Stadium South (Baltimore).
Photo credit: (June 25, 2013 - Source: Mike Stobe/Getty Images North America).