The Yankees opened up a four game series in the Bronx with the Tampa Rays with an ugly loss on Thursday night as Andy Pettitte didn’t have his best stuff and the offense was bad once again.
Pettitte wasn’t as awful as his final line looked, 6.2 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, but the Rays kept managing to throw runs on the board. It starting with a sac fly in the second, he gave up two more in the third on a RBI-single and a sac fly, then Evan Longoria homered to make it 4-0 in the sixth.
Matt Moore came into the game struggling somewhat, but he looked great against the Yankees until their bats finally woke up in the bottom of the sixth. The Yankees quickly loaded the bases with nobody out that inning before Reid Brignac scored on a wild pitch, Robinson Cano hit a sac fly, and Travis Hafner picked up a RBI-groundout to make it 4-3.
That would be as close as the Yankees got in this game as Pettitte came back out and gave up another run in the seventh that made it 5-3. Joba Chamberlain then gave up another homer to Longoria and Boone Logan, who has been amazing this year, gave up a two-run shot to Yunel Escobar that made it 8-3.
• Usually Joba takes a little while to shake off the rust when he hasn’t been playing so I’ve been cutting him some slack recently. It’s getting to the point where you can’t make excuses anymore. He’s given up runs in four of his seven outings since coming off the DL. He now has a 6.06 ERA, an impressive 11.0 K/9, but an equally disappointing BB/9 of 5.0.
• Just when it looked like Robinson Cano was breaking out of his slump, he’s now hit just .190/.250/.238 in his past six games. Since the series against the Mets ended, he has hit just .209/.333/.358 in 19 games.
• Brett Gardner is the only batter worth watching on this team recently. After going 2-for-3 on Thursday, he’s now hitting .348/.400/.522 in 18 games in June.
• Pettitte has given up at least four runs in three of his last four starts. He’s maintained his control and, aside from Longoria’s home run Thursday, hasn’t been a big victim of the long ball so it could be just a little bit of bad luck in a small four start sample size.
• Thinking about going to a game this weekend? Pick up your Yankees tickets here.
Photo credit: (June 19, 2013 - Source: Mike Stobe/Getty Images North America).