The Yankees brief four game winning streak came to an end on Friday when they lost 4-1 to the Mariners in Seattle.
The Yankees faced Jeremy Bonderman, who looked about as bad as you would expect a pitcher to if he hadn’t pitched since 2010. The Yankees were able to take advantage in the first, but Bonderman quickly got on a roll. After Mark Teixeira drove in a run on a ground out to make it 1-0, the entire team went just 3-for-29 the rest of the game.
It might have been enough if it weren’t for the fourth inning when the Mariners scored four runs off Hiroki Kuroda on four hits and two walks. He had been cruising along up to that point, but lost command of his pitches and it was suddenly 4-1.
• The Yankees had a mini rally going in the second inning until Reid Brignac missed a bunt and left Vernon Wells hung out to dry as he was thrown out at third. He is hitting just .160/.160/.200 in eight games as a Yankee.
• Robinson Cano went 0-for-3 and hasn’t had a multi-hit game since the Subway Series. He’s hitting .115/.258/.231 in his last eight games.
• Preston Claiborne tossed another 1.2 scoreless innings. He has been amazing in his brief major league career and has a 0.49 ERA, a 6.9 K/9 and a 0.00 BB/9. Yeah, that’s right. No walks in 18.1 innings
• Ichiro Suzuki has a eight game hitting streak going after a 1-for-3 night. He’s hit .391/.417/.391 during that span.
• It’s now been 22 games without a multi-hit game for Vernon Wells. He’s hit .127/.159/.203 during that span.