A-Rod wants to play Friday, frustrated he has to wait

Alex+Rodriguez

Welcome to another episode of As The World Turns.

Yesterday, we found out that MLB was considering a lifetime ban for Alex Rodriguez, who is supposedly ready to fight any potential suspension. Meanwhile, he had a doctor calling around to the media to say that A-Rod was healthy and ready to play. Of course because he’s A-Rod, the doctor just happened to have been recently reprimanded for supposedly prescribing hormones including steroids.

The saga continued on Thursday:

• The day started with A-Rod releasing a statement proclaiming himself ready to play by Friday: “I think the Yankees and I crossed signals. I don’t want any more mix-ups. I’m excited and ready to play and help this team win a championship I feel great and I’m ready and want to be in the lineup Fri night. Enough doctors, let’s play.”

• Then the Yankees had a conference call that included Brian Cashman, Randy Levine, Tim Lentych, the team’s head athletic trainer, A-Rod and one of his lawyers. On the conference call Cashman said that A-Rod won’t be cleared to play in a simulated game until Aug. 1 and won’t do anything until then.

• On the same conference call, Cashman also said that he had Dr. Dan Murphy take a third look at his MRI and he confirmed the first diagnosis that A-Rod had a Grade 1 strain. When he examined A-Rod, he said that there was “clearly some improvement” though.

• Lentych then laid out a rehab plan that didn’t have A-Rod doing anything more than playing in a sim game on Aug. 1, just like Cashman had previously said.

• Cashman acknowledged that A-Rod wanted to play Friday, but said that wasn’t responsible.

• Later on in the day, A-Rod went on the Mike Francesa show where he said, “Obviously I’m very, very disappointed,” he said.”I thought tomorrow night would be the perfect night to come back and get in the lineup…I made it very clear to everyone I spoke to that I’m ready to go and I’ve had plenty of at-bats.”

• A-Rod wouldn’t answer questions about whether or not he trusted the Yankees. He reiterated that he was ready though. Later he said that he didn’t know he could file a grievance.

• Meanwhile, Jon Heyman reported that the Yankees will fine A-Rod an undisclosed amount for seeking a second opinion on his injury without notifying them in writing first.

TO SUM UP: A-Rod proclaimed that he was ready to go Friday, the Yankees held a press conference to say that they got a third opinion who agreed with the original opinion that A-Rod’s quad injury is real and that he won’t be cleared to play in a sim game until Aug. 1. Then A-Rod went on the radio to complain about it. A-Rod will be fined for seeking a second opinion without letting the Yankees know.

Tune in tomorrow for the next installment of As the A-Rod Turns.

• Buy Yankees tickets to see A-Rod’s eventual return before he’s suspended by MLB.

Photo credit: (July 1, 2013 - Source: Streeter Lecka/Getty Images North America).

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to A-Rod wants to play Friday, frustrated he has to wait

  1. Corethree says:

    I'd rather not tune in tomorrow for this a-wad crap. I'd rather he just put a gun in his mouth and pull the trigger, in order to put everyone else out of their misery.