Anonymous player: We’re just tired of A-Rod

Alex RodriguezThe Yankees have had a pretty harmonious clubhouse in recent years which means nobody sniping each other anonymously in the media in recent years. That ended on Thursday as an anonymous player took a shot at Alex Rodriguez through Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News.

“Guys are just tired of it,” the player said. “The media circus that’s revolving around Alex is insane — and we haven’t even seen him. It just keeps going. It’s like a carousel that just keeps going around and around and around. At some point, it has to stop.

“I would like his bat in the lineup. We could obviously use it because the potential for some home runs would help us a lot. But with the circus that’s surrounding him right now, I don’t think anybody wants that.”

“When it’s all said and done, you’ll hear more than enough comments from the guys in here,” the player said. “You’ll be able to write it for weeks.”

This kind of thing is always cowardly to me. If a player has something to say they should either take it up with that player face to face or own up to what you are saying and put your name on the record. Anything less is in of itself bad for the team.

You would think though that A-Rod and the circus that comes with him showing up might take away some of the focus away from things like how historically bad this lineup has been or how many injuries and setbacks they’ve constantly had.

The 2013 Yankees. Not only are they an old, injury prone team that can’t hit, but now they are sniping at each other in the media. This is truly a season to remember.

Photo by Elsa/Getty Images.

This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Anonymous player: We’re just tired of A-Rod

1. Tony Canales says:

Get rid off him , time to turn the page on this bad apple…….. His attitude, his Diva persona take your cash and just bow out the game that some call our past time please!!!!!
    You once had us at hello so please say good- bye before someone slams the door one once a great career. Your shinning lite has gone Arod do yourself and Baseball a honor in leaving the game you once loved and lost your way. Say good bye so we one day may say did have game before the ?????????
    Just like Barry and the others I loved.

Tony Canales

Baseball Fan for Life

2. ollie says:

Anonymous player, no guts! I wouldn't want that guy on my team either!

3. Tanned Tom says:

I have no problem with an unattributed source, there would be very little journalism without it. Read any article and you'll always see "a source close the team's front office", etc. Tons of what we know about baseball wouldn't have been possible without this kind of reporting.
    This in fact could be part of management's plan to push A-Roid out, which I totally support, and would not be bad for the team at all. This way it stirs less drama, instead of "Player X-Rodriguez feud" coverage.

4. mikefoxtrot says:

Alex has earned whatever sniping and griping comes his way and if Rob wants to call it cowardly he's entitled to his opinion, despite it being pretty silly.

5. wally says:

I much prefer an anonymous source telling the truth than hearing the daily pre-fab blather about "supporting" a teammate who just happens to be a lying, cheating, greedy narcissist. Can we rule out sociopath? The sooner Alex Rodrigues is erased from this team, the better IMO. I wish more players would come forward. When they remain silent it lonely makes me wonder if they have their own secrets too. (I certainly hope not).

• mikefoxtrot says:

the players are joined together in a union and have other bonds forged as team mates. they usually are best served by not gratuitously entering a controversy between another player and the team management and the league management.

however, it is pretty clear that there exists strong evidence that the union and the players are not happy with the conduct of Rodriguez and it seems reasonable that they are not.

6. Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

It's truly sad how you'd rather constantly kiss ARod's ass than support the TEAM that you are supposedly a fan of and created an entirely website around.

• I'm not really concerned with A-Rod here. Who anonymous is attacking isn’t the issue here. It's very troubling to me that there are players out there that think it's a good idea to blast a teammate, any teammate, anonymously, like a coward, in the media rather than confront that player face-to-face. It's a giant red flag that there are problems in the clubhouse.