The Yankees latest trade rumors: Morrison, Young, Canzler, Rios

Logan+MorrisonNothing big has gone down yet on the trade front involving the Yankees. No big whispers yet either. There have been some minor rumblings though.

• The Yankees are not interested in Ricky Nolasco, but they are scouting the Marlins. They have a lot of young prospects plus and, of course, Giancarlo Stanton. Stanton is not on the market, but Logan Morrison might be. They also have Justin Ruggiano and Placido Polanco that could be a help to the Yankees.

• The Yankees had a scout in Philadelphia this past weekend. The Phillies have Michael Young and Carlos Ruiz who could both help the Yankees.

• The Yankees are not interested in catcher Miguel Olivo, per Joel Sherman of the NY Post.

• The Orioles designated Russ Canzler for assignment on Saturday. Sherman says the Yankees could have interest if he becomes a free agent. Canzler is hitting an amazing .415/.531/.815 in 82 plate appearances against lefties in Triple-A this year. Wowza.

• The Yankees are one of six teams on Alex Rios‘ no trade list. This doesn’t necessarily mean a trade is impossible though, it just gives him some monetary leverage over the Yankees.

Manny Ramirez signed a minor league deal with the Rangers which kills the slim, remote, and way off base speculation that the Yankees could sign him.

Photo credit: (July 1, 2013 – Source: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images North America).

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Yankees latest trade rumors: Morrison, Young, Canzler, Rios

1. jfs says:

i know people like letting young people play but it looks like almonte is fizzling out. with a-rod and jeter coming back, and nunez already here the outfield and catcher is far more important to upgrade.

rios isnt worth the money he's going to demand. take a chance on canzler, maybe have 2 platoons going with him, wells, almonte, hafner. these guys are not that good, the key the rest of the way is maximizing their potential via lefty/righty splits and then MAYBE jeter, arod and grandy will be healthy the rest of the way and close to what they did last year. if the pitching holds up, that should be enough to get a wild card spot.

• Tanned Tom says:

Almonte fizzling out? You mean he's not hitting .400 anymore. He's hitting .286 which deserves a continued look. Nunez already here? Excuse me while I throw up. I've seen enough of him to know, let's just put this charitably, that he's not an everyday player.
      Nunez and Chamberlain plus prospects to Philadelphia for Ruiz and Young. Kind of a salary dump by Philly.

• jfs says:

i mean that for the last week he's hitting .200. given that hes 24 and they only called him up to majors as they got desperate. i tend to think he got hot at the start and we are seeing the real almonte now (kind of like wells for the first month and youkilis for the first week).

if the phillies would take that deal i would offer it without batting an eye.

2. Tanned Tom says:

Utley, Ruiz and Young could all be good fits for NY, but I don't know that we match up with the Phillies. Unless the trade is a salary dump. But with the generally disappointing state of the farm system I'm fine with moving some younger players for veteran help.
    Ruiz would start at C, move Romine back to AAA.
    Young would start at 3B, move Adams back to AAA
    Utley could start at 1B, move Overbay or Hafner
    would immediately improve the offense at 3 positions.

• gcorcoran says:

That would be awesome. I doubt the Phillies will part with all three in one trade, but even if the Yankees can get two of them that would be phenomenal.

With their interest in Chamberlain it would be huge to get Young and/or Ruiz. The team is automatically better with those two. Add in the additions of Jeter, Grandy, and A-Rod and they could be looking solid again.

• Rakook says:

The Yankees are not going anywhere this year. The way C C is pitching put him in a deal.

3. olemiss says:

ruiz has o hr and only 6 rbis are you gus kidding me we have better catchers in the minors

4. Joe says:

The yankees should look at Ty Wigginton who was just released. He can play infield and outfield and his bat can be a big help in the line up.

5. Roger says:

Yankees are not going anywhere this season. I've been watching them since 1950,and this is the worst offensive team since that time, including the lean years of the 60's. The pitching staff looks very promising for the future and by making some good trades, the Yankees can get younger and compete next year. Kudos to Gerardi for doing the impossible in keeping it somewhat respectable up to now. I'm a die hard Yankees fan for over 60years. Sometimes you just have to be realistic and suck it up, at least for this year.

6. Chuck v says:

Has anyone seen Robinson cano hustle? I am tired of hearing the Yankee announcers say he cruised into second, when if he hustled it would of been a stand up triple. Trade him now get value maybe Stanton from the marlins. But they would get value from a player who I never seen run all out, sorry he's the most talented, but he has to go

7. d.walt ers says:

I'VE BEEN A DIE HARD YANKEE FAN SINCE 1956, AND FOR THE LIFE OF ME I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY HUGHS AND JOBA HAVEN'T BEEN TRADED LONG BEFORE THIS!!! I'M REALLY SORRY THAT GEORGE HAD TO DIE, BECAUSE IF HE WERE STILL THINGS AT YANKEE STADIUM, CASHMAN WOULD BE GONE AND HIS CHILDREN WOULD BE ON A VARY LONG VACATION, THEY'VE DONE NOTHING SINCE THEY TOOK OVER…I'M SORRY BUT THE YANKEE TEAMS OF LATE REMIND ME OF THE C.B.S. YEARS BEFORE GEORGE BOUGHT THE TEAM, AND I'M AFRAID THIS KIND OF LEADERSHIP WILL CONTINUE FOR YEARS TO COME. ALL I HAVE LEFT ARE MY MEMORIES OF THE TEAM DURING THE 50"-60" AND 90"S

8. Roger says:

Nuno should replace Pettite in rotation after All-Star break. Pettite should retire for the last time. We need to get younger right away!

9. Tuffy says:

I am going in a different direction. This is not about the players, but about the broadcasting crew why can't we have a steady team of Kay, Singleton, and a third person? Tell O'Neill thanks for the memories but get him out of the booth!

10. Rich Wietsma says:

people need to stop talking about A-rod coming back and whether he would help, etc. He's done, washed up, probably wont get medical clearance to play and will (hopefully) be suspended for the PED stuff. It's time to get younger. I agree, let Nuno take a spot in the rotation. Andy is done and thanks for the memories, clutch performances & being a great Yankee. Agree Hughes/Joba can go for the right prospects. Forget Michael Young. Great hitter, great career. But for what? Half a season then he moves on? Are we gonna give top prospects away for that? Catching situation needs to be upgraded badly. Neither Steward/Romine/Cervelli is the answer. These guys are good defensively but we need that position to produce offensively, especially with what the others are doing. I'm from the CBS years also, so I've experienced the good & bad

11. Richard says:

I give up on the yankees this year. They suck and should not be considered the Bronx bombers. I have never seen a Yankee team like the scab player team we have now.

12. パーカー コロンビア