CC Sabathia gave up just three runs in a complete game, but it didn’t matter as the Yankees offense scored just one run in a 3-1 loss to the Royals at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday. The Yankees have now scored just three runs over their last 29 innings and the Royals have at least split this series by taking the first two games.
CC was great early on; he was hitting the corners with ease and cruising along until the sixth inning when a pitch to David Lough caught too much of the plate and he hit it out to tie the game at 1-1. The Royals took a 2-1 lead in the seventh when another pitch landed on the fat part of the plate and Brett Butler hit it out.
The Royals scored another run in the eighth on an Eric Hosmer ground rule RBI-double, but it mattered little at that point. The Yankees offense was once again terrible. The lone run came on a RBI-single by Robinson Cano in the first inning. They wasted a golden opportunity that inning as they got the bases loaded with one, but Big Game James Shields escaped the jam. Shields settled in after that and the Yankees only got two more runners into scoring position the rest of the game.
• Robinson Cano went 1-for-4 and got the only RBI of the game. He’s on fire right now and has hit .419/.500/.744 over his last 12 games.
• Brett Gardner went 2-for-4 and got his first multi-hit game since July 1st.
• Travis Hafner is so bad. He went 0-for-3 with a walk and three strikeouts. He’s now hitting just .188/.288/.328 in 58 since April 21st. That’s not a small sample size. He’s not getting on base and he’s not hitting for power. He can’t run or play defense. What good is he to this team?
• With Jayson Nix on the DL and David Adams back in Triple-A it looks like Luis Cruz is the everyday third baseman for the Yankees. He’s 6-for-25 in seven games so far in Pinstripes. That’s .240/.240/.280 if you were wondering.
• CC Sabathia has tossed at least seven innings in each of his last five starts with a 3.79 ERA, a 6.9 K/9 and a 2.4 BB/9. Not ace-like, but still workhorse-like and it would be manageable if this offense wasn’t so bad.
• Don’t forget to pick up your Yankees tickets if you want to see them try to salvage the rest of this series.
Photo credit: (July 8, 2013 - Source: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images North America).