It’s July which means that trade rumors are going to be running rampant over the next month which has always been fun as everyone speculates what the team could look like. I’m going to try to stay on top of all the trade rumors individually, but there were quite a lot over the weekend and so far this week so I thought I would start by getting everyone up to date.
• The Braves and Giants both have interest in Joba Chamberlain, according to George King and Dan Martin of the NY Post. Both teams have had scouts following the Yankees “exclusively to watch Chamberlain.”
Joba has obviously struggled big time since coming off the DL, but his stuff has still looked great. A move to the NL where he would get out of the spotlight and into some bigger NL parks could be great for him. I’m not sure how much the Yankees will get for the impending free agent though.
• The Yankees are talking with third baseman Ian Stewart about a minor league deal, according to Buster Olney of ESPN. Stewart isn’t very good and was recently suspended by the Cubs for 10 games for complaining about being demoted to the minors.
• The Yankees aren’t involved in discussions for Marlins pitcher Ricky Nolasco, according to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports. Previous reports had the Yankees interested in him, but with so many holes in the lineup it makes sense that they aren’t players for him.
INTERNATIONAL FREE AGENT RUMORS
Tuesday is the day that teams can begin signing 16-year-old international free agents that come mostly from the Dominican Republic. In the past this was where the Yankees made up for getting such low draft picks, but this year they are limited to about $1.88 million to spend (though they have been trying to trade for more cap space).
• The Yankees are expected to sign Dominican shortstop Yonauris Rodriguez to a mid six figure deal, according to Ben Badler.
• The Yankees are also interested in Dominican third baseman Rafael Devers and Leonardo Molina as well, according to King.