Cano reportedly wants $300 Million from Yankees

Robinson Cano

The Yankees would love to bring back Robinson Cano, but there is a fine line between being reasonable and being insane. It seems the Robinson Cano talks will bring them to the brink of insanity.

According to reports, Robinson Cano asked the New York Yankees for $300-310 Million in a 10 year span several months ago. The Yankees of course, said no.  The Yankees then offered Cano a David Wright type contract (8-years, $173 Million) but Cano deferred the offer. The Yankees and Cano haven’t spoken about a contract offer since then.

Personally in my opinion, no player out there is worth $300 Million dollars. On top of that, Cano would regress if we give him a 10 year deal. Let’s look at some of the players that haven’t played as well as their contract.

1) Alex Rodriguez (NYY) (10-year, $275 Million, signed in 2007): Alex Rodriguez makes ridiculous amounts of money, but he doesn’t put up ridiculous numbers on the field. A-Rod hasn’t had a 100 RBI season since 2010. In 2010, he had 125 RBI’s. The number dropped dramatically in 2011 to 64. Let’s also look at A-Rod’s power numbers. The last time A-Rod hit 30 HR’s was also in 2010. The number was slashed almost in half in 2011, to 16. Ever since 2010, Rodriguez has not been the same player, yet the Yankees have to carry this contract until 2017 because they signed up for vintage A-Rod.

2) Albert Pujols (LAA) (10-year, $245 Million, signed in 2012): Another contract that a player doesn’t live up to. Albert Pujols went to the L.A. Angels after his contract ended in St. Louis and although Pujols had a good year for them in 2012, 2013 was a different story. The Angels are paying him to hit 30 HR’s and have 100 RBI’s. He had 17 HR’s and 64 RBI’s. Those are good numbers if you’re a player that isn’t considered an “All-Star” but since he’s being paid $245 Million plus incentives, those numbers are poor.

I know fans want to think about the present, and I know Robinson Cano is in his prime. But before you give someone a contract you have to look at the entire deal. Not just the first couple of years. If you give Robinson Cano a 10-year contract, he’s going slow down, he’s not going to hit as many HR’s or have as many RBI’s. He’s not going to be the same Robinson Cano that is going to take the field tonight. The age of the gigantic contract needs to come to an end. I get that baseball is their passion and all, but $300 Million is ludicrous. Considering the Yankees are trying to keep their payroll under $189 Million this offseason, which they might want to reconsider.

I said it once and I’ll say it again: no player is worth $300 Million. Ever.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Cano reportedly wants $300 Million from Yankees

1. karen says:

$300 million? Ridiculous! Cano never seemed particularly happy to be a Yankee, so let him get the $300 million from another team. I won't miss him. Perhaps his less expensive replacement will run out ground balls even if he thinks they might go foul.

2. Tanned Tom says:

No way. 1) Middle infielders slow down in their mid-30's, and he's already 31 next month. So really a 5 or 6 year deal ought to be the limit. 2) Cano puts up very nice numbers, but hardly $30 mil a year numbers, let's get real here. 3) Do fans come to the park to see him play? This question is relevant at this salary level. People come out to see Jeter, Rivera, even A-Fraud, but not Cano. 4) Lack of hustle. Anyone who has ever seen him play knows that this is a problem with this player. The team traded Melky Cabrera and failed to re-sign Bobby Abreu because they were had similar issues and their influence on Cano was a negative one. Jeter has to be kept off the field with a broken ankle, Cano won't even run out grounders – see any difference here? 5) who else is offering anything at all? Other high payroll teams have 2Bers already or are spending their money elsewhere. If the Dodgers don't get involved there won't be any competition. With the club reducing payroll they won't be bidding against themselves.
    Make the qualifying offer, which Cano will reject, then make a solid but final offer of 6 years at $25 mil per (which is too much). If he can get more elsewhere then fine, but don't overpay for a no hustle player. And prepare for life without him.

• gcorcoran says:

Well said. I think I'd go a little higher than that for him, but if I'm GM I don't go above $180 million total. He's a great player and he deserves his payday, no question about it. This $300 million thing is just a rookie agent making a statement about his most prolific client. I think Pujols and A-Rod and the poor job they've done living up to their contracts will hurt Cano on the free market. Everything you said above is true, but at the end of the day Robinson Cano is still a star in the league, and by far the best second baseman in it, so he deserves to get paid and the Yankees should do anything they can within reason to retain him.

They can make other free agent signings to make up for losing Cano, and they'll probably still be okay, but that's a huge void to fill.

• Tanned Tom says:

Well, they need upgrading at SS (I'd re-sign Ryan), 3B (Jeter/Reynolds), C, RF, DH and 2 or 3 starting pitchers. I don't see the club bringing a slew of free agents.
        What I want to see is some trades.

• gcorcoran says:

Agreed. Although I don't think signing Ryan should be a huge undertaking. I don't think he'll require much. I have a feeling this is going to be a crazy offseason, as I've said since the beginning of the 2013 season.

3. Tim says:

My max would be 6 or 7 years 150m to 175m. Yanks will have the money. Because of loss of 75m coming off payroll. A thin FA market also so we have to pay someone to keep people in the seats. My backup plan would be Nunez at 2b. He would be better than at short or 3rd. I hate the idea of having the highest paid player so do not want Yanks to do that. With so many stars gone after the season, are Yanks really gonna sell tickets if fans think we are gonna finish last. They will take all that into consideration. I would love to save for starting pitching! SFran and St.Louis won recently because of great starting pitching and clutch hitting. We won in 96.98.99 2000 all with the best starting pitching and good clutch hitters. Only HOF hitter from the teams will be Jeter. I know I am rambling ,but we need to get the farm system back and plug in the right FA

4. Michael R says:

He won't get anything close to 300 mil. and anyone who even considers it is as crazy as he is.

5. hotdog says:

by the end of the 2014 season, Robinson Cano will be 32 years old…he's still in his prime but I think he's past the mid-point…you never really know but it's a good bet that the last 5 years of a 10 year contract will be less productive than the first five years…if the Yankees had a team that was championship bound, it might make sense to pay up but if they are rebuilding, we might not get the best of Cano when we need it the most. I'd like to see Cano play his entire career in New York and unless Cano is unhappy being a Yankee he probably wants to spend the remainder of his career in pinstripes too…i am sure the Yankees will make a stronger offer but having been frustrated with long term contracts, they might just say, "take it or leave it"…

6. hotdog says:

sorry, the link didn't work…