Does Joe Girardi want to return in 2014?

Joe Girardi 2

Joe Girardi is known for many things: his ability to manage the Yankees bullpen, using players in the right type of circumstances and of course, for his binder. Those things (yes, even the binder) make Joe Girardi a great Yankees skipper. Don’t believe me? Take the 2013 Yankees before Rodriguez, Granderson and Soriano joined the team. With almost any other manager, the Yankees wouldn’t be in the position to chase for a Wild Card spot right now. Because of Girardi, the Yankees still have a little bit of faith, hoping to be the Cinderella team of the league. However, aside from Robinson Cano, Girardi is going to be the biggest Yankees free agent hitting the market after the 2013 season.

Now, the question that we’d all like to know is whether he would like to return in 2014. Girardi started his answer with yes, but didn’t give a definitive answer.

“Yeah, I mean, I don’t worry about those details until it’s time to worry about it.” Girardi told ESPN New York. “To me, it doesn’t make sense to worry about it, but I love being here. To me, it’s wasted energy just thinking about it.”

Girardi has said that he likes the atmosphere in New York, the intensity of the fans, the players and the media.

“It’s a tremendous atmosphere.” Girardi said. “If you are a competitor, that is the kind of atmosphere you want to be in and I’m competitive.”

So it’s pretty obvious that Girardi would like to return next year, and I would see no issues with it. Girardi has done an amazing job as the Yankees manager, keeping the mediocre Yankees ball club afloat. There’s no one out there with his quick thinking and tenacity, and let’s face it: Girardi knows how to manage a team in New York, one of the most demanding sports cities in the United States. Making a bold prediction here, I expect to see Joe Girardi at George Steinbrenner Field in Tampa, Florida in February 2014 for another long, wild exciting year as the manager of the New York Yankees.

NOTES & NEWS

– Austin Romine is still unable to play, revealing to the media his frustration. Let’s just say, Romine said words you can’t say on television (or publish in a blog).

Photo credit: (August 25, 2013 - Source: Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images North America)

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Does Joe Girardi want to return in 2014?

1. John A. says:

I hope Garbage leaves. This lefty righty righty lefty. The binder and going with a pitcher who has lost 13 games. Wow, where would we be if he won half of those. Take Cashman with him. Kind of what the Red Sox did and look where there at.

2. Jack says:

I agree. Also his lineup is absurd. Don't let the door hit him on the way out

3. Joe says:

Girardi sucks. He pulls his starting pitching too soon thereby using his bullpen up Uses Rivera more then one inning Took Robertson out because he gave up a hit, are you kidding me I hope they fire his ass

4. Tanned Tom says:

To all who think Girardi should go: the team has been outscored by 20 runs, which means they should be 4 or 5 games BELOW .500, instead they are 7 games ABOVE .500. This is great managing. If you can't marshal some facts to support your opinions, rather than just shoot your mouth off, I encourage you to post elsewhere. There are plenty of thumb-sucking sites.

5. I don't understand all of the Girardi hate. He's done an amazing job keeping this team in a playoff hunt even with a horrible lineup throughout most of it and multiple injuries, even just since the All-Star break, to the pitching staff. Honestly, He'll definitely be among the candidates for Manager of the Year.

• mlblogsnewyorkyankees13 says:

I don't get the Girardi hate either. I like Girardi. Sure, he annoys me when he brings in Hughes and Joba in situations that are vital but when looking at the big picture, he's done amazing with this team. Without him, we're under .500.

6. Tim says:

I agree with a couple quick hooks on Pettitte down the stretch.Also His use of BPenn was questionable at best. Torre didn't trust a reliever you did'nt see him in a clutch situation. We see Joba and other guys in situations they should not be used in. I don't care if I ever see Joba and Hughes again! That being said Are offense lost too much with no Gardner or Jeter at top of order besides all the other long term injuries they had. Besides no one hits for average on Yanks besides Cano. You can't win every game with HR's. If not for the lucky resurgence of Soriano we are most likey out of WC race 3 weeks ago! Yanks have more questions this offseason than I ever seen and I been a crazy fan for about 35 years. I have no idea what are rotation or lineup will look like.
    I assume we will resign Cano and let Grandy go Arod will be gone for year. We have to pray for a healthy Jeter and Tex. We have Wells ,Ichiro,Soriano,Gardner signed for next year. This lineup has has so many question marks.
    Are catching situation was nothing short of a disaster! A few years ago we had all these great catchers in the farm system what happened? If all guys are healthy and we keep Robbie we are still old and Cano would be only Allstar.
    Rotation has even more problems the usual will Andy retire or not. Kuroda back to Japan or not. Will CC eve be a 1,2 or even 3 again. Will Pineda pitch and be a future ace. And What Nova are we gonna get.
    My rotation looks like this CC, Nova,Pineda, Phelps.Huff FA ,FA Are BP should be ok. I like Robertson to close with the other young guys we have are BP will be above average but not the best like we are used to

7. Michael R says:

The Yanks need to clean house. This starts with Cashman and Girardi.

8. Matt says:

The Yankees' woes are not Girardi's faults. Not bringing him back next your would be incredibly stupid.

9. Luigi Ragusa says:

The 2013 Yanks are a product of previously over priced free agents and sacrificing the farm system. Most fans are missing the big picture! We have 1 player batting .300+. The amount of fly ball outs is atrocious. Professional hitters can't beat a shift with a double to the opposite field, instead the settle for a line drive out to the second baseman in short right. The Bronx Bombers are gone for now, the Yanks need quality at bats that produce runs. Long should be fired and take Rothchild with him. Hughes and Joba will be gone and thier respective careers will be resurrected under a quality pitching coach.

10. Mike Baker says:

i mean i feel you cant even make an arguement about it,Girardi should be back next yr without a question there isnt a manager in baseball who would have done a better job with this team then Girardi has done….i just would love to think of what could have been if the Yankees had this roster the whole season bc i feel its actually easier to find pitching

11. Rebecca says:

I guess they will really leave Cano and allow Grandy walk off Arod will be not here for year. They have to long for a hale and hearty Jeter and Tex. They have Wells, Ichiro, Soriano, Gardner noticed for next year. This arrangement has so a lot of doubts…!!!