Girardi asks Rivera to reconsider retirement

Mariano Rivera 3

Mariano Rivera has his mind set on retiring at the end of the 2013 season, but that’s not going to discourage manager Joe Girardi from trying to coax Rivera out of retirement, according to Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York.

During today’s media conference at Yankee Stadium, Girardi was asked how many more seasons his former teammate could pitch in the majors.

“I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t do it.” Girardi said. “He’s made it pretty clear that he doesn’t want to return, but I always say, you know, January rolls around and sometimes you have a different feel about what you want to do. I’m sure I’ll talk to him at some point in the offseason, and I’ll tell him when the season’s over ‘Take a month. Take a month and a half, two months and make sure this is what you really want to do. Because once you do go, it’s hard to come back.’”

Rivera is 4-2 with a 2.14 ERA in 2013, putting another All-Star year into the books, and even though Rivera seems like he could pitch another year or two, his stance on retirement hasn’t changed.

“I want to stay at home, close the door, and do what’s next.” Rivera said during his March press conference.

Besides, if Rivera did decide to retire it would be really awkward for the teams that lavished him in gifts during his retirement tour. Would he have to give all the gifts back, including the amazing  and creative ‘Chair of Broken Dreams’? Well, only time will tell if Rivera would like to return next season. Joe Girardi would like it, fans would like it, but I think it would be time to respect Rivera’s decision and let him ride off into the sunset the champion he is.

– Just in case Rivera does retire, he probably will, buy your Yankees tickets to see him one last time.

Photo credit: (August 18, 2013 – Source: Jared Wickerham/Getty Images North America)

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Girardi asks Rivera to reconsider retirement

1. Mike says:

Let him him go while he is still the man.

2. Evelyn Ortiz says:

Delia so proud of you!

3. Michael R says:

Geesh Joe, let him go. He's a class act and still very effective. I don't want to see home try to hang on and tarnish his image. His heart won't be in it anymore.

4. friend says:

"Broken Chair of Dreams"

This is ridiculous, it doesn't even make sense. The correct name is "Chair of Broken Dreams". This stuff literally takes only five seconds to look up and get correct!!!

• Brett says:

Dude, she made a mistake. It's not the end of the world. It was her first day and she was probably really nervous. Regardless it's still very well written and I can't wait to read more from her.

5. hotdog says:

Mo looked annoyed with reporters during the post-game for asking him about Girardi's comments as well as their questions about his retirement…he's probably sick of people asking…

6. tommy cassella says:

how does retardi even know if he will be with the yanks next year?

• mlblogsnewyorkyankees13 says:

I have a feeling Girardi will be back next year. What he did with the team this year, despite everyone saying that this Yankees team would be in the cellar of the AL East, under .500. He used the pieces he had and managed to win just enough games to keep them over .500. The fact he was able to work with what he had shows that he's a great manager. He also gets points for defending A-Rod despite A-Rod trying to throw him under the bus along with the Yankees training staff.

7. We are early 30s and contribute 15% of gross to retirement. This rate has varied from year to year- fresh out of college and living at home, I was contributing almost 30%. But then it dropped to zero when I was in b-school.

I would like to get to 20%, but I think this will be hard to do especially once we have kids. We do try to balance spending now vs spending in the future though.

8. Any reason this is beinveg brought up again? Why does'nt Cashman give Chipper Jones another call?

9. Free Games says:

There are several conventional video game titles all around, and possibly they may be looking powerful. Plus the certain stable resistence as opposed to online-only. Mainly because it is actually acquiring a lot more widespread, just isn't likely to recommend it lets you do acquire over the complete small business and in addition virtually all free online games is going to be online-only.