Some Thanksgiving Notes and News: Kuroda, Hughes

Hiroki Kuroda 3

Well, it’s that time of year again! The turkeys are cooking, the football’s on television and baseball fans are one major holiday closer until Spring Training. Before we get onto the Yankees news, on behalf of everyone here at Bronx Baseball Daily, I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. It’s so wonderful to work in an environment where there are passionate Yankees fans and it warms my heart to see everyone’s opinions and views on a daily basis. So I thank you Yankees fans for making my job of bringing news daily to this site full of joy.

There weren’t a lot of rumblings today since of course it’s a major holiday and the Yankees offices were closed, but I was able to pick up a few tidbits here and there:

– The Yankees have become more optimistic that starter Hiroki Kuroda will return for the 2014 season, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. A couple of weeks ago, it  could have been possible that Kuroda might have went back to Japan or even to the Los Angeles Dodgers. However, the Dodgers seem to be out of the running for Kuroda after signing Dan Haren.

For all the Phil Hughes lovers (and no so much lovers?) this segment is for you. It’s been reported that there are multiple teams interested in the young starter including the Minnesota Twins. Considering the fact that Target Field is a pitchers ballpark (unless Hughes miraculously makes it into a hitters ballpark) the potential signing would make complete sense. The Twins just finished signing Ricky Nolasco and they seem to think Hughes can turn his career around with a change of environment. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Some Thanksgiving Notes and News: Kuroda, Hughes

1. Mike says:

Hughs seems like a good guy. I had really high hope for him as a front line starter for the yanks for a ling time. Wrong ballpark for him and his confidence took too many hits. I hope his career rebounds for another club where he can play with less pressure.

2. Gary says:

Kuroda is a reliable stud. I'd prefer Kuroda and his experience over Hughes' youth and inconsistencies. Of course not more than 2-3 years.

3. Andrew says:

Gary kuroda is 39 i dont think hes coming back on more then a 1 year deal

4. gcorcoran says:

I wish Phil Hughes the best. The only reason I'm apprehensive about rooting for him is I would not look forward to hearing that the Yankees did a poor job with him and that its the horrible coaching of the Yankees that caused him to be so bad. In reality it will most likely be due to park factors. Either way I really hope he blossoms into a solid pitcher for the rest of his career.

Delia, you have done a great job with the daily news here and I am thankful for that. I was worried about this site when Rob left but you have put me at ease.

• mlblogsnewyorkyankees13 says:

Thank you so much. It means a lot to hear that. I'm very thankful that Rob gave me this opportunity and I have had so much fun working on the blog. :)

5. tom says:

Kuroda's 2nd half broken down does concern me. His velocity is still there but stuffs are gone.

I don't know if it is good idea to pass on Cano and focus on two Japanese pitchers.

6. Michael R says:

Kuroda needed some rest the 2nd half and the Yanks weren't able, or so inclined, to give him some extra days off. He's up in years so this seems to be the pattern for guys his age. His stuff was wicked the 1st half, but to me he looked tired later on. If he signs, hopefully they will allow him some extra days off throughout the season so we'll have him close to full strength for the stretch run, assuming there is one.
    Hughes needs to move on, preferably to the National League where he'll probably be an all-star candidate. American League scraps seem to do well over there.