Report: Cano signs with the Seattle Mariners

Robinson Cano 18

If I could make this up, I would…but I can’t.

According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports and ESPN Deportes, Robinson Cano has agreed to a 10-year, $240 Million deal pending a physical, ending his tenure with the New York Yankees.

A physical is scheduled for next Monday.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Report: Cano signs with the Seattle Mariners

1. Rsears57 says:

Hope he likes rainy weather and playing for a 500 team.

• yank4251 says:

I hope he likes rainy weather and playing for a sub-500 team and having Justin Smoak protecting him in the lineup.

2. Jerry borrero says:

I am speechless!!

3. kay says:

While I recognize Cano's abilities as a player, I felt worse when Raul Ibanez and Russell Martin didn't return. I'm wish Curtis Granderson all the best with the Mets.

4. Anna says:

I followed Cano's career and think he will be a good enrichment for the team. Good to hear that the got signed.

5. Michael R says:

A lot of money saved to remake this team into a champion again.

6. hotdog says:

It really hasn't hit me yet…he's a lethal weapon that we no longer have…neither Ellsbury nor McCann can make up for that…this is a big loss…

7. tom says:

I play the math. 38 current under contract and 1 intentiont (Kuroda). The total salary is about 163.921m.

If Arod is scat-free from suspension, then Yankees have 2 plus millions over the budget.

If Arod receives 50 game suspension, Yankees will have about 7m under the budget.

Starting roster doesn't look good unless Jeter and Teixeria manage to revert to their old form. I had Anna at 2B and Johnson at 3B as well as Phelps and Warren handling back end spots. 9 pitchers, 3 catchers and no IF are non active rosters.

Maybe Yankees should burn minor pitchers to get a better than acceptable 3B. Move Johnson to 2B and Anna to AAA.

I can see Yankees go after Garza if Arod is banned for a year or Kuroda is not going back.

8. Tanned Tom says:

The trick about playing chicken is knowing when to blink. The Yanks didn't want to overpay, but they still wanted to re-sign Cano, he is far and away the best FA on the market. Looks like they pushed their leverage too far. Now the team absolutely needs to add another bat.
    That said, a terrible decision by Cano, winding up with an awful team, an organization that cannot find it's behind with both hands in a dark room, a city with no Hispanics, let alone dominicans, and a bad hitter's ball park. Of course he's just following A-Roid's advice, who took the money and left a good Seattle team for a dreadful Texas team.

9. olie says:

Just signed Beltran, Could of been there plan from the start!

10. Fred says:

This site needs a new banner. Only 2/6 are going to be active next year. Crazy.

11. jfdi says:

As much as I loved cano, you cannot match seattle's offer in this case. nor do i blame cano, how many of you honestly would have walked away from an extra $60-70 million?? And truth be told, he wasn't exactly an endorsement icon in ny. i think i saw more ads featuring Jorge Posada last year than cano.

Pitching is the key to getting them to the playoffs at this point. save the money for that, and trade for a few arms if you can. if tex, mccann, beltran, soriano and ellsbury stay healthy (a pretty tall order) thats enough offense for now