Report: Yankees sign Carlos Beltran

My, my, my. The Yankees just keep on rolling.

The same day the Yankees lost Robinson Cano to the Seattle Mariners, the Yankees reportedly signed Carlos Beltran for 3 years and $45 Million pending a physical.

This is the third big free agent signing for the Yankees this offseason. The Yankees previously signed Brian McCann and Jacoby Ellsbury earlier in the offseason.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Report: Yankees sign Carlos Beltran

1. tom says:

It sounds like Yankees will wait until Arod's ruling before re-signing Kuroda.

Soriano will play 2B or DH with Jeter at SS?

With Ellsbury and Beltran locked up in OF for 2 or 3 years, Yankees can package either OFers and P to get better SP like Cubs' Samardzija. He will probably cost an half of Kuroda's tag.

• tom says:

ah.. Soriano becomes a full time DH for Yankees which is cool with me.

• Mike Sommer says:

I cannot see why so many of the uneducated or unknowing want Soriano at 2B. He will be 38 and hasn't played second base since 2005. 2B? Really? C'mon.

• jfdi says:

maybe because we like his bat but having him dh full time is stupid with a line-up thats so old. realistically, if they play 7 games a week they will like have need to have jeter, beltran, and a-rod (if he's around) and maybe mccann each take a dh day.

do you recommend just sitting your top righty bat 3-4 days a week? if not your choice is to put soriano in left those days and sit gardner (or move him to right if its beltrans day off)

at this point its a game of "would you rather": would you rather 1) (soriano at 2b) risk having a lot more ground balls go through the middle of the infield and keep your top righty hitter playing every day, 2) (soriano at dh only) sit your top righty bat on a regular basis to field the strongest defensive team or 3) (soriano in lf/dh) keep your righty bat but risk having more balls fall in yankee stadiums huge left field gaps, while taking one of the leagues best outfield defenders and putting him in a situation where he has little ground to cover?

I don't know about you, but i would take option #1.

keep in mind though, injuries to any of the outfield regulars are not unlikely, and would instantly put soriano back in lf

• Mike Sommer says:

He doesn't DH full-time. You rotate the position, but since he has the worst glove he is the primary DH. Say Jeter and Beltran DH 20 games each, McCann 10, Teix 10. That leaves 100 for Soriano, with him playing OF for the other 50 or so. We don't even know yet if Jeter can play SS AT ALL. Hopefully he can, but …. That is where Girardi earns his money. Rotating people and keeping them fresh. No way in hell do you put a 38 year old who hasn't played the position since 2005 out there as your starting 2B. The pitchers would and should revolt. He Dh's. You go for the best defense to help your pitching staff, which is not exactly what you'd call strong right now. Gardner in LF (provided he isn't dealt for pitching) Beltran in RF with Ellsbury in CF. If Gardner is dealt, then Ichiro in LF. Help your pitchers out. But no Soriano at 2B. He is primary DH and plays OF when someone needs a break in the OF.

• Mike Sommer says:

I just looked something up. Rtot (see baseballreference.com) Is the number of runs above or below average the player was worth based on # of plays made. From 2001-2005, when Soriano played 2B, and was in his prime, his numbers were -19, -13, -10, -20 and -16. Which is why he was moved OFF 2b. This was when he was young, fast and in his prime. No way do I put him back at 2B after so long a time away from there and at age 38.

2. Bronx Bomber 22 says:

Kuroda resigned late Thursday night

3. olie says:

Now Gardner starts against Righthanders and sits against Lefthanders and late inning defensive replacement. A good player but can't hit Lefthanded pitching.

• Mike Sommer says:

Sits against lefties? Who is playing then? You go Gardner, Ellsbury and Beltran w/ Soriano DHing. Ichiro can back up three positions. He would have to accept a backup/PR/Def. replacement (not that they might need it w/Gardner/Ellsbury/Beltran) role. Please don't say Wells. I want Wells gone. I realize he is a righty bat, but 10 of his 11 HR came before May 15th. He's pretty much worthless.

• olie says:

He can't hit left handed pitching. So with a lefty on mound You go Ellsbury ,Jeter ,Beltran, Tex , McCann and yes Wells (Kills RH pitching) and if u absolutely have to start Gardner he hits 9th. Mike I guess we will have to wait a few months and see what Girardi thinks!

4. Tanned Tom says:

Wow, what a makeover. I'm looking for the inevitable trade that results from the Beltran signing. We now have 6 OFs. They might go with 5, Gardner in LF, Ellsbury in CF, Beltran as RF/DH, with Suzuki as part time RF, and Soriano as 2/3s time DH, so…. Wells must go. Also, let's be honest, what does that mean for Jeter? He has no range at SS and the DH ABs seem to be take up with Beltran and Soriano. I think they should move him to 3B.
    Jeter at 3B and trade Wells for what you can get.

5. gcorcoran says:

Three things they still have to address with no money left to address it (if 189 is real): 2B, 3B, and SP3.

All I want for Christmas is Masahiro Tanaka.

• Tanned Tom says:

I'd settle for Jeter at 3B, Johnson at 2B and Matt Garza instead of Tanaka. And the only way $189 mil was ever real was if A-Fraud was suspended. So that's out of their hands.

6. Michael R says:

I'm guessing that they'll attempt to trade Gardner for the SP slot. I agree that Jeter should be at 3rd. I sure hope they aren't thinking of Soriano as a stop-gap at 2nd.