Day two is winding down to a close and once again there has been a flurry of rumors on the New York Yankees side. Let’s break down everything that’s happened today in Yankee Land.
– Joe Girardi spoke to the media today during the Winter Meetings and has elaborated on Cano’s comments. Girardi acknowledged Cano’s displeasure of batting second in the lineup and even spoke with him about it during the season.
– Girardi also spoke about the outfield in 2014: whether Jacoby Ellsbury or Brett Gardner would play center field. Girardi said he would talk to the both of them when the team is set and would choose a center fielder. It’s expected that Ellsbury will play center and Gardner will play in left field.
– Girardi mentioned Derek Jeter is done rehabbing and he is having a normal offseason at this point.
– Brian Cashman reiterated to the media today that Brett Gardner was not on the trading block but of course said that he was listening to offers as he does for everyone this offseason. The one he’s shopping at this point is Ichiro Suzuki, although I’m not too sure if the Yankees will get anything back for him.
– Cashman stated that he spoke to Gardner’s agent and Cashman promised he would let Gardner know whether he would play center or left field.
– Cashman confirmed he called Kevin Youkilis with hopes of a reunion but Youkilis wanted to stay in California this time around.
– Cashman also called Mark Reynolds‘s agent with hopes of a reunion. Reynolds at the beginning of the offseason called Cashman with interest in being a Yankee again. The Yankees also called Boone Logan. In September, Logan made news saying he would love to return to the Yankees and judging by his stats, a Logan/Yankees reunion wouldn’t be a bad idea.
– Cashman confirmed the Yankees will retire Joe Torre‘s No. 6. Torre’s number had been unofficially retired but with Torre entering the Hall of Fame, the Yankees now have a legit reason to retire it.