Francisco Cervelli‘s 2013 season has been frustrating to say the least, but he’s willing to put it all behind him as he prepares for the 2014 season.
Cervelli was given the chance to be the starting catcher last season, but fractured his hand in April. Cervelli was then suspended for 50 games in August in violation of Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention rules.
“Last year was a disaster, and we just take the positives out of everything for being a better person and a better player,” Cervelli said Monday outside the team’s Minor League complex.
Unlike last season where Cervelli was fighting for a starting job, he will be fighting for a backup role, since the Yankees signed Brian McCann to be their everyday catcher in November.
“I’ve just got to keep working, having fun and playing baseball,” Cervelli said. “Do what they ask me to do, and I know what’s my role now, but you never know.”